Solved: Screen Freeze and Crash

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dktherocker

Hey guys,
I have a HP Pavillion dv6767tx(thats right, special edition XD). I bought it in November 2008. The specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz
4 GB RAM
256 Mb Nvidia GPU
15.6 inch widescreen
WIndows Vista 32-bit

For two years my laptop has gone through very turbulent times with me. It has been subjected to stains, food, etc. I replaced the keyboard recently. Now my problem. The other day I was playing Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. Then the screen froze up, and slowly lines started appearing on the screen.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/__cX8BWSeUEw/TXEnlW8Z-kI/AAAAAAAAABg/UZBPLmxVXlY/s144/up2.JPG

I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del and the game unfroze. I didnt think much of it. I also realized that the laptop was hot. It was on a glass desktop and I do not think ventilation was a problem, since the fan vent is somewhere behind the screen hinges. This problem kept recurring even after I had let the laptop cool. Now the laptop won teven start. Vista starts loading, then the screen freezes, lines appear, and automatically shuts off.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/__cX8BWSeUEw/TXEnlwzhVhI/AAAAAAAAABk/OAq5rLUjjls/s288/upload1.JPG

The fan isnt even running. I have recovered all my data thanks to the Ubuntu Live CD (god bless them). Even in Ubuntu I found some pixels would remain red and that the display was not proper. My friend told me that the problem was due to over-heating, and due to the fact that i used to leave my laptop on at nights occasionally. My battery doesnt run long without mains power, thus the laptop is always plugged in.

PS- I know I havent been taking very good care of my laptop. If you cant help, please do not start preaching about how laptops are the most precious things in the world.
PPS- Just tell me if I have to get a new laptop.

Thanks a lot for reading my essay,

DK

dustyjay

Jay
No Preaching about laptops being so Prescious. Just a reminder that with the exception of a few, Laptops are not designed as Gaming Machines, and that they run at a higher temp normally than most Desktops. When you start gaming you start running into higher temps that can damage and kill things like the Video Adapter, the Motherboard and the CPU.

Using Compressed air to blow the dust out of the vent slots can help lower temperatures.

I frequently leave my laptop running over night while it is plugged in and it does not suffer. If the system were overheating though it probably would have caused problems.

dktherocker

Ok so the guy from a local computer store said that there was a problem in the GPU. I booted with the GPU disabled, and it worked fine. Im considering buying a new one now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online