1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Screen freezes when watching video. Video card problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maddarlo, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maddarlo

maddarlo Thread Starter

Hi there,

Over the past couple of weeks, my PC has begun freezing - but ONLY when I'm watching videos. That can be either streaming or in Media Player etc. It never freezes if I'm doing other stuff.

Any ideas? is my video card kaput, do you think?

Cheers,

Andy

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you tried updating the video drivers?

3. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

I would first check the CPU fan as well as any other fans in the system. It sounds like your CPU is over heating when your PC is being worked hard. A bad video card and or bad system RAM are close seconds.

4. maddarlo

maddarlo Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks very much for your replies.

Yes, I tried updating the video drivers. Downloaded them - but they won't install for some reason.

As for the fans, they're dust-free and working fine. I have, however, just taken some CPU temp readings. 76C when just surfing the web but 90C after just two minutes of watching a video.

Is there anything I can do? I presume 90 is too hot?

5. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

That's your issue right there. Get some new heat sink grease and reattach your heat sink. If that doesn't help get a better quaility CPU heat sink and fan.

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If you aren't overclocking then the stock heatsink / fan etc should be more than adequate.

What is the exact make and model of the machine if it is a branded name like HP, Dell etc?
    If its a custom / self build what is the make and model of motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM, Power Supply (including wattage), case, number of case fans and direction of airflow for each etc.

How old is the machine?

7. maddarlo

maddarlo Thread Starter

Cleaned both fans and applied new paste. Everything hunkydory now. Thanks for your help!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1001676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice