1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Screen is black in Windows, works ok in safe mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by js73, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. js73

js73 Thread Starter

This is my wife's laptop. The problem started recently, about a week ago When she starts the laptop, often (but not always) there is the hp logo, and then the screen goes black. It does not always happen, and sometimes it happens when the laptop has not been used for a few hours.

The screen seems to wrok okay in safe mode, bit has problems in regular mode. The laptop is about 4 years old, came with Vista, but now has Windows 7 premium home edition. I reinstalled windows 7, but the problem has not been resolved.

Grateful for your advice. Should this laptop be discarded? Repairs are quite expensive in Switzerland, and rather than spend good money on an old laptop, I would prefer getting a new one, if an easy solution can not be found. HP G60-235DX Windows 7 (32 bit), 3GB RAM, plenty of free HD space.

Many thanks.

2. Loui5D

Loui5D

Sounds like a driver problem, try booting in safe mode then uninstalling the display driver, reboot then "if" you get into windows, it will automatically install a driver. however you will still need to download the correct driver, which you should be able to get from the hp website.

3. js73

js73 Thread Starter

Thank you. I have tried that (uninstalled the driver, and let windows install the driver) but the hp website driver download was not compatible. Shall see if it works.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I agree. As it's working in Safe Mode, the drivers are corrupted.

After you get the drivers downloaded, boot into Safe Mode, uninstall the video drivers, reboot into Windows and do NOT allow Windows to install the video drivers, and then manually install the drivers that you downloaded.

5. js73

js73 Thread Starter

Thank you. I have installed the driver as suggested, and it seems to have resolved the problem. Shall mark it solved in a few days, if no problems arise.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1066779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice