1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Screen issues with Compaq laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paladinz, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paladinz

Paladinz Thread Starter

My daughter has noticed some issues with the display on her Compaq laptop, red vertical lines during boot and colours fading/changing while in Windows. White changes to pale blue, other colours show almost as if its in 256 colour mode although its not.

Drivers have been updated, totally removed, reinstalled etc. The problem does not show on an external monitor.

Has anyone come across this kind of issue before or have any idea of the likely cause please?

[​IMG]

2. dant22185

dant22185

Either video card or the monitor it's self. Are you running any aftermarket video cards? If so can you disable it and possibly run the computer via on-boad video to test?

3. HCD

HCD

Quite possible that wireless cables running behind the LCD screen are not shielded - 2 outer red lines are more pronounced. Is it a recent development....?

4. Paladinz

Paladinz Thread Starter

No, that is the onboard video.

It happened a week or so ago, the laptop was purchased August 2010.

Unfortunately when she tried to claim on the insurance she took out when purchasing the laptop from 3 she told them how long it had been and they stated that unless notified within 48 hours the insurance wouldn't cover the repair.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    She can say it happened a week ago but then was ok until now and she has only just realised it seems permanent.

I would go into one of their shops and ask to see the manager and explain the situation in person, preferably with lots of other customers around to hear.

If that fails send a letter that has to be signed for to 3's head office.

I'm fairly sure that 48 hour thing is illegal !

6. HCD

HCD

I agree with "managed" !

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Thanks !

After some Googling it appears the notify within 48 hours thing is common practise.
    Seems unreasonable to me.

I think my first idea in Post#5 is your best bet, they can't expect an ordinary user to diagnose a problem straight away.

8. Paladinz

Paladinz Thread Starter

I've advised her to claim for manufacturers fault since the laptop hasnt been damaged. 3, of course, passed the buck to Compaq so waiting for her to call them, then its the registered letter etc. Then the fight to get them to accept that the law states there is a 2 year warranty when the manufacturer likes to claim its 1 year.

Just wanted some confirmation tha it was mot likely a hardware failure as it's outside my field.

Thanks for the help!

9. HCD

HCD

Great stuff.... the beauty is that they can see it.....so no chance for you to smell their answers!!! Good Luck!.....Post as Solved please!

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Well I'm 100% sure that's a hardware problem.

Good luck with the claim !

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice