1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Screen went black but computer still runs fine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by totalnoob, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. totalnoob

totalnoob Thread Starter

Umm ok, hoping this is the right spot.

So... hello... and thanks to all of you lovely computery people out there for even reading about my problem.

So today i was watching a video online, and the screen just went black, but the sound of the video was still playing normally. I turned off the computer (didn't know how else to stop it). Anyways, upon restarting, the screen is visible for about one second and then goes black. The right side of the screen is brighter than the left if that means anything to anyone. I can tell by the sounds that it restarts normally except for the screen which remains black.

When i put the laptop to sleep and reopen it the screen is visible for again 1 second or so, and then goes dark. That screen is the log in screen so i know the rest of the computer works fine up to that point.

If I shine a flashlight at the screen i can see the screen, but barely.

Computer details for anyone interested.
    Toshiba Satellite A200
    Windows Vista
    4 years old
    (not sure what else you would need to know)

Ok, so a couple questions from all that.

1) Can anybody tell what's wrong with it?

2) If i hook it up to another monitor of some sort, can i bypass the screen issue?

3) Assuming whatever is wrong with the screen is fixable, is it better/cheaper just to buy a new computer instead?

Well that's all i can think of. Please try and help me out if you can, i would really appreciate it.
    Thank you all, hope to hear from you,
    Indebted as always,
    totalnoob.

2. Megabite

Megabite

3. totalnoob

totalnoob Thread Starter

Hmm, that is interesting.
    Thank you so much for getting back to me.
    I hope you are right.
    I'll mark this as solved unless i find out otherwise.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice