1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Screensaver wont work?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cml599, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cml599

cml599 Thread Starter

I'm having the same problem, no screen savers too. I tried all the help in this thread and am wondering if there are any other helps someone could post for me? The "read-only" box was not checked in my system.ini file... so that's not the problem. I too have lots of screen savers, windows and others, and all were working fine until recently. Now I have no screen savers at all.... They are all still there in my System folder, and also there when I go to set them and preview them, but they don't come on..... ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, cml599
    :confused:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. cml599

cml599 Thread Starter

Thanks.... I've only used this site a few times, but it's obvious that there are some VERY intelligent pc users on here, and hopefully someone will be able to solve this problem for me!

Thanks again so much!
    cml599

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I take it that your screensaver just won't kick in? Can you reset it and have that setting inplace? Or does the setting revert to none.

Do you have multiple user profiles setup? Haqve you made qny other changes recently?
    What have you tried so far to cure it and how long has this been happening? What is running in the background. Sometimes a program like AV for instance will prevent the Screensaver from kicking in. If you can set a screensaver, try using CTRL+ALT+DEL to turn everything off other than Windows explorer and Systray.
    See if works. If so, it's a process of elimination to find the culprit.

5. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Hello, I am also having problems. I have been sent a screen saver, but cannot find my system folder. It has gone!!

How would I get it back without having to reinstal Windows 98se.
    Or would a reinstal be the option, keeping my files. I don't want to lose my system's tweaking if at all possible.

Thanks for any help.

T2:)

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

If you are in Windows, you have a system folder.

Go to Start>run and type System. Press enter.
    The system folder should open. Look at the address bar to find the path. It should say
    C:\Windows\System

Can you find it now?
    If not, go to Folder Options>View and be sure Show All files is selected.
    Then after you have found the System Folder, right click on it and choose Properties. If Hidden is checked, remove the check. None of the attributes boxes should have a checkmark.

7. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Hello Mosaic1 - Yes I have the system folder, no of the attributes are ticked. What I really meant to say is that I can't find a screensaver folder there. Should there be one? What wold be its actual title. I have been sent Astrosaver (a slide-show screensaver) but cannot get it to operate.

Thank you,
    T2

8. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello Penny!

I feel guilty for sending you a screensaver and you can't make it work! Sorry!

But what I understand from our previous conversation, the screensaver tab is missing from the Display Properties window?

Usually, on the screensaver tab, there is a dropdown menu of screensavers from which you can choose. Most screensavers, including the one I sent you, can be pasted into the windows folder and it will appear in that menu. Windows looks for *.scr files and lists them there.

I'm sorry for repeating what we have already discussed, but I'm mentioning it here again for the benefit of others who are following this thread. I hope this clarifies the situation. I have done a Windows and Google search but can find no reference to missing screensaver tab in Display Properties.

Can you go into Control Panel and find Desktop Themes? If you can, click the "Pointers, Sounds, etc..." button. Then see if you have a "Visuals" tab. If you do, click it and scroll down the list and see if "Screensaver" is listed and checked.

Try this and let us know what you find.

~Jim

9. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Hello Jim,

Please don't be sorry about the screensaver, I am happy to have received it. Now I can have fun learning a little bit more about the internal workings of my p.c.:D Yes, screensaver is on the Visuals tab but it not ticked, and refuses to be ticked.

Thanks for contacting me about this.

Penny:)

10. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Tuppence2,
    There is no screensaver Folder in System. Some of the screensavers are in The system folder itself.
    I am not clear on what you mean about ticking the screensaver. Do you mean you cannot change which screensaver you would like to use?

Find system.ini in C:\windows and right click on it. Choose properties. If Read only is checked, uncheck it.

11. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Hello Mosaic1

Thanks. Ok, will find the ini file and come back to you.

I followed pyritechips instructions - Desktop Themes, Pointers etc.,
    chose Visuals and under that there is a list included Screensaver,
    which is the only item not ticked. Hope that is a little clearer.

Be back soon.

T2:)

12. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hi Penny!

Ok I am at a loss why there is no screensaver tab on your Display Properties window!

What I am saying is, Mosaic is right: there is no actual "screensaver" folder. To clarify, when I manually install a screenaver I paste it into C\windows\{newscreensaver.scr}. Where is the screensaver on your computer as of now?

~Jim

P.S. I just read your new post. I only mentioned that visuals window to see if the system was recognizing screensavers in general. You can ignore that for now- hope I haven't confused you!

13. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Hello Jim - No more confused than usual!!:D I've got it my system folder and a copy on the desktop for luck!

but

Mosaic, a search for the system.ini file comes up blank.
    I cannot find it. Is it possible it's gone missing? If so, how would I get it back?

Penny
    T2

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Penny, try this, start button, run, then type sysedit
    and press ok.......

is there a system.ini tab there?

15. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Hello Candy.

Yes there is. A group of windows cascaded and there is one called system.ini.

What next? This is fun:)

Penny

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice