1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Screwed up my XP - autocheck not found

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by omee00, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. omee00

omee00 Thread Starter

Hi, I recently screwed up my computer by running a crappy reg-edit program which deleted a bunch of important registry and I started to get messages asking me to insert XP SP3 CD to install the files but I didnt have one so I tried rebooting.
    Upon rebooting I got a black screen saying "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupted please reinstall ntoskrn.exe" In my panic state I used my XP recovery disks but they just installed another version of windows on my HD. So I used my XP install CD to get into the recovery console and I copied over the files from the CD to my HD. So I fixed the ntoskrn issue and tried booting into my orginal XP and at first everything seemed fined but right after the XP loading screen I get the blue screen "autochk.exe not found, skipping autocheck" and the system just re-boots. Ive tried everything, copying over the autochk.exe file, running chkdsk /r, nothing seems to work. Ive run out of options, can someone please help me??:confused:

Here are my system specs: Alienware laptop m5700, 80gid HD (RAID 0 configured, actually 2 40gig drives configured to act as one), 1 gig RAM, Pentium M 2ghz.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

3. omee00

omee00 Thread Starter

Unfortunately the above solution does not work for me, I cant even get into windows, the system just endlessly reboots after the blue scree.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Can you boot to safe mode and do it?

5. omee00

omee00 Thread Starter

Nope. All I can access is the Recovery console by using the XP disk.

6. omee00

omee00 Thread Starter

All this time I was using the Windows XP RECOVERY CONSOLE to try and fix my issue when all along I should have just gone through the Install process and selected the option to repair and existing version. I did that and *tada* my XP was fixed, albeit I had to spend an entire day re-installing drivers, but no biggie as none of my files and info was lost. Thanks for the help though everyone.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Great, you close the thread by marking it solved in the first post.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice