1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Script problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by manofmarin, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. manofmarin

manofmarin Thread Starter

Windows XP/IE8

I have one website that I open daily that has started to have the following window pop up every day as I open the site. This has never happened in the past and I have opened this site for years with no issues.

The window states: "A script on this page causes Internet Explorer to run slowly, if it continues to run your computer may become unresponsive. Stop running this script-YES/No."

I hit YES and the page finally runs better but still not fast, so how do I identify this particular script so that I can close it permanently? No other web sites I utilize have this issue?

Thanks for any help,

manofmarin

2. 87654321

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

If the above fix from 87654321 is unsuccessful, try the following:

Run IE8 Without Add-ons

Any difference?

If still no luck, click Tools and tick InPrivate Filtering before going to your website. Any better?

4. manofmarin

Gentlemen: Thanks for the input! It will take a few days to check out what hopefully works, but I will report back!

manofmarin

5. manofmarin

I've tried all the fixes and the problem still exists. I have disabled ALL my add-ons and will apparently have to enable them individually, as needed for specific web-site requests.

Quite frustating!

manofmarin

6. Phantom010

Did you try InPrivate Filtering?

7. manofmarin

Phantom010

Yes- but website still snail slow!

8. Phantom010

Can you give me a link to that website? I know some websites are simply not supporting IE8 anymore. I'll try it with both my IE8 and Firefox browsers.

9. manofmarin

Phantom010:

The website is the Milwaukee Journal- Sentenal Newpaper online sports page

www.jsonline.com/sports/

IE8 is already "Old News?"

Thanks,

Manofmarin

10. Phantom010

Yes, for some, IE8 is already "old news" even though IE6 was around a lot longer before they decided not to support it anymore. Go figure.

OK. Tried the website with my IE8 and it ran just fine. However, I tested something else and was successful in reproducing your exact script error.

Click Tools > Compatibility View Settings.

Untick the "Display all websites in Compatibility View" box.

Restart your browser and try that website again.

11. manofmarin

Phantomo10:

That did the trick! I went to compatability settings and found the subject website in a list of three which all displayed in compatibily mode. There must have been a time in the past that IE or the website suggested compatility mode. But I upgraded to IE8 over a year ago and never got a script error message before?

I don't need to try to understand WHY--just happy you were able to get me right! I know you wouldn't remember, but you have resolved numerous problems for me in the past. Thank you again and much appreciated!

I guess Compatibility mode should be avoided. Another Microsoft issue? Will mark problem resolved!!

manofmarin

12. Phantom010

I do remember you quite well. :)

Compatibility View was particularly useful when IE8 had just been released. A lot of websites weren't ready for it yet. They were still used to IE6 and IE7.

Glad it's now working right! (y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!