1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Scroll wheel and cursor stop working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by labornot, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. labornot

labornot Thread Starter

I have a PC with Windows 7 Home Premium. I've started having problems with my cursor and mouse wheel freezing. After a short period, 5-30 seconds, the mouse wheel will stop scrolling, but it starts scrolling again after left clicking. To keep scrolling I need to continue left clicking. At the same time my cursor stops flashing, I need to left click to type and keep left clicking to keep typing. My other keys freeze in the same manner. This happens regardless the type of document, inside a searchbar, password box, images, etc. With Chome, IE and Firefox. The mouse pointer works fine. This happens irregularly. I'll have the problem and it goes away when I reboot (sometimes). Other times I don't have this problem, but when I do a reboot its back. I've tried changing my mouse settings - didn't help. I've tried another mouse - no help. My mouse and keyboard are connected via USB.

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    What make and model are they?

3. labornot

labornot Thread Starter

The keyboard and mouse are HP. The mouse that I swapped is a Logitech.

4. labornot

labornot Thread Starter

That is, HP mouse N910U, no model number on the HP keyboard. The Logitech mouse is M100

5. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    hold the windows logo key and press R. in the dialog box that opens up type in devmgmt.msc. click on the lil + sign beside "mouse" and "keyboard" to expand the categories. right click on each of the entries in both categories and select updtae driver. reboot and see if that helps. Also let me know if there are any yellow triangles or "!" points.

6. labornot

labornot Thread Starter

I did the driver update check and I have the latest drivers. No yellow triangles or "!". Some additional info about my symptoms: left or right click will unfreeze, of course right click pops a menu. When the freeze occurs the window frame "fades" and the red close box in the upper right corner losses all color.

7. Crazy10

Crazy10

Try changing the ports around.

8. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

dl and run this utility and then copy and paste the info here. If you have a Dell give us the 7character service tag. If you have another name bran HP, asus, etc. give us the product make and model number.

9. labornot

labornot Thread Starter

Problem solved. I installed a wireless adapter for my cable modem eight weeks ago and I discovered that it has a "power saving" mode that was turned on. I turned off the power saving mode and no more problems. I am slightly disturbed because I don't recall turning the power saving mode on or off before and I know that I didn't have the problem all of the time. Let's attribute this to me being a seasoned citizen. Thanks for your time and attention.

10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    :) glad youre up and running. Thanks for using TSG.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!