Solved: Scroll wheel not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rayray092684

The scroll wheel on my mouse suddenly quit working. It's never had a problem before. I thought it might be a problem with IE but it won't scroll in any other program either. I'm running win XP with a standard ps/2 ball mouse

Before digging a hole in the wrong place, can you try another mouse?

As an indication, I only get ~ 1 year out of a mouse, (even the expensive Microsoft variety) before something on it fails.

rayray092684

I don't have another mouse to try. I'd rather not buy another mouse if I don't have to I've only had this one for a few months. I'd feel really stupid if I went out and bought another mouse and found out that the problem was just some box somewhere that was or wasn't checkmarked.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You might consider disassembling the mouse and cleaning, sometimes that will bring things back. If it's just the wheel, it sure sounds like the mouse has died. I'm assuming you didn't change any drivers, etc., right?

Windows is really very mouse friendly. You can plug just about anything into it and all basic functions, including scrolling will work without installing any software.

However, if you installed software with this mouse -- UNinstall it -- it just might start working.

But try the cleaning -- chances are that's it.

But if not, heck you can get excellent optical mice (get wired, not wireless!) for a pittance.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online