1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: scrolling up/down a page is now choppy in IE and Mozilla

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sy2, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I just got home from school and logged onto my computer and for some reason when I scroll up or down a web page (using either Mozilla or IE) it seems choppy.

I know that's not a very good description but that's all I can think of. I noticed it when I clicked in on the middle mouse button to bring up those arrows that allow me to scroll by holding the mouse either above or below the respective arrow. Before when I would scroll (before as in last night) everything would be smooth. The only things that I can think of that I installed recently are Adware SE Pro, Registry Mechanic, Spyware Blaster, and PCAnywhere (which I deleted right after installing). Could any of these be the culprit?

If you need a better description of what I mean by "choppy" scrolling let me know and I will try to elaborate better.

Oh yeah, I also started an O&O Defrag last night before bed which was still running this morning. I stopped the defrag and was planning on continuing it tonight so I don't know if this could also be a problem. I've stopped defrags midway through before with no problems.

Thanks for the help!

2. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

I believe that this is a symptom of a larger problem concerning my video card. I've started a post about it here (http://forums.techguy.org/t369357.html). Will update if I get it resolved in case someone else runs into this problem.

3. dloonam

dloonam

That's quite possible. Also could be something with the refresh rate on the monitor, spyware....blah blah. I was having the same problem with mine at home shortly before my last reinstall of Windows. In normal setup after the install, was flipping through video settings and noticed that the default refresh rate was way off. Fixed that and haven't seen it come back yet, so who knows... Something else to try at least. :)

4. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Yeah I ended up solving it, just forgot to come back here and mark it. It ended up being a problem with the video card - for some reason in device manager I got the "Windows loaded device driver, but could not find the hardware" error; it was something like code 401 or code 41.

Anyways, to make a long story short I battled with it for like 6 hours and ended up formatting C: and reinstalling XP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/369350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice