1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] SCSI Host Adapter produces start-up request failure...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by webzter, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Good Morning;

RE: server with an AIC SCSI Host Adapter, on boot goes thru
    Channel A ok, then goes to Channel B, makes start-up request of Iomega Jaz IGB, and FAILS...actual chanel B target Id #4 says...."Unexpected scsi command failure ", followed by a bunch of stats (locations). Hardware mgr indicated the Jaz device checks out ok, (Jaz only dvice on B channel but the channel itself indicates its functional)-

Anybody have a suggestion where to begin to look for source of problem? doesnt appear channel corrupt just the jaz device itself, more likely, its scsi channel B settings- any troubleshooting assit would be genuinely apprteciated!

regards
    Webz

2. Rockn

Rockn

Proper termination??

3. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

hate to sound like a dummy....but say what? (could you be a bit more specific?) THANKS!!

4. Rockn

Rockn

Take out the Jaz drive and see if the SCSI controller initializes correctly.

5. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

removed the device from hardware mgr and nothing changed, but i did NOT physically remove the unit itself- i'll give it a go- thanks

6. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

sorry it took so long to get to this.... went ahead and did a physical disconnect of the Jaz (Iomega)- the server initalized normally-

7. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

would this indicate that the Jaz Iomega is defective?

8. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hi Again;

had originally made an inquiry re a server's "B Channel" that attempted ..."a start-up request" of an Iomega Jaz. The start-up request,according to eror message, "failed"- but the server continued its boot-up sequence and started nevertheless.

My question pertains to "WHY THE JAZ FAILED". It was suggested I remove the Jaz from channel B, which I did. The server bypassed channel b because the Jaz was the only device on that channel. Channel A booted fine and the server started normally.

I'm trying to figure out WHAT I PROVED BY REMOVING THE JAZ?
    IS IT A BAD UNIT? And since the boot-up recognized the Jaz, only that it failed its request, wouldnt that indicate that the ribbon cable is ok as well as the b channel of the SCSI Controler?

any clarification woud genuinely be appreciated

rtegard
    l

9. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

the following error message appears on start-up/boot-up...pertains to channel B/SCSI ADAPTER;

"UNEXPECTED SCSI COMMAND FAILURE"

* SCSI CDB SENT 03 00 00 00 0E 00 70 00 02 00

* TARGET: #4

* HOST ADAPTER STATUS: 02H NO HOST ADAPTER ERROR

* TARGET STATUS: 02 CHECK CONDITION

* SENSE KEY: 02 NOT READY

* SENSE CODE: 3AH

* SENSE CODE QUALIFY: 00H

THE RESULT IS THAT THE SCSI ADAPTER, ON CH B, HAS A REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE ON IT. WHEN THE CONTROLLER GOES TO RECOGNIZE IT, IT RETURNS A...."START-UP REQUEST FAILED" RESPONSE BUT THE PC STARTS SUCCESSFULLY ANYWAY-

ANYBODY CARE TO TAKE A STAB?

THANKS
    WEBZ

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

11. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

AS ALWAYS ROG, MANY THANKS!

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

webzter, I've merged all 3 of your threads, anyone willing to take a shot at solving this needs to have all the info together ;)

13. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

ACA CANDY....THANK YOU....ROG JUST HELPED A TON AFTER THREE TRIES- APPRECIATE YOUR ASSIST AS WELL-

14. hammerbill

hammerbill

If this problem is important to solve, you will want to give us some background:

1. Has the drive ever worked properly?
    2. If "yes" then what have you recently changed in your system if anything? New hardware? Installed Iomegaware or other software?
    3. Have you made any adjustments to CMOS or to The "bios" of your SCSI card?
    4. Is the jaz disc any good or has it been damaged? Have you tried starting without a disc?

Try a different Jaz drive if available.

15. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hammerbill....Rog....AkaCandy...etall....FIXED! The article Rog sent me to provided a list of variables to test, and first one (better to be lucky than good!) I chose was the correct fix (amatter of DISABLING NOT ENABLING A START SETTING- GO AND FIGURE!!!)
    and all's well! Do appreciate everybody's input...this fix three days in tne making...adult beverages are on me!

thanks
    Webz

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/200773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice