1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SCSI Ultra II to Ultra III Adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 4steve44, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4steve44

4steve44 Thread Starter

I have a SCSI PCI controller that is ultra 2 and I have found a 36.4GB SCSI hd from HP that is ultra 3. Will the adapter slow the transfer rate of the ultra 3. If so to what degree :confused: the controller I have has a sdram slot on it with a 16 MB stick in it . Will it still work If I put a 128MB stick in it?

2. 4steve44

4steve44 Thread Starter

3. 4steve44

4steve44 Thread Starter

Anybody out there :confused:

4. 4steve44

4steve44 Thread Starter

I can't believe I've stumped everybody ;)

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'm no expert on SCSI but if you can physically connect the drive to the exisitng then you've got one problem solved. If I remember right there's more then one physical connection type for SCSI devices. Then I would imagine the drive would run at the maximum speed supported by the controller.

6. 4steve44

4steve44 Thread Starter

Yes that what I was thinking too. It's just that the adapter is $25. But the difference in speed of the Ultra 2 to the 3 is double. The controller PCI is $95 or so. Ok I know I'm thrifty(cheap) :D Just playing a little bit and learning a whole lot. Every payday I like to do a little something to upgrade but don't like spending a lot of money ;)

7. storage_man

storage_man

Steve

I to am not a expert on SCSI, but I do have a Adaptac SCSI-II card with a SCSI-II Device. I know for a fact that you should be able to run a SCSI-III device on a SCSI-II controller. The SCSI bus speed is managed by the slowest device. The standard provides for a mixed environment. The Big problem will be cabling. As Triple6 indicated, SCSI-II is 50pin and SCSI-III is 68pin. I'm sure they make adaptors to convert this. I have run in the past on my SCSI-II card both SCSI-I and SCSI-II cards with no problems except throuput. Spend some money and give it a try.

Storage_Man

8. Kromos

Kromos

i dont think so.

heres a link that will help you ,understand what scsi is all about ! ! !
    http://www.techexams.net/technotes/scsi.shtml

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can't connect a WIDE SCSI device to an 8 bit SCSI controller, the 68 pin SCSI connector is for 16 bit WIDE SCSI. There is no issue in connecting different speed devices with the same bus width, however you're obviously limited by the slowest part of the chain.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/280043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice