1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Seagate 3TB SATA drive not seen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joyof60, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

I have a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard, running Windows 7 home 64bit, With a WD sata drive as the boot drive. I installed a Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA drive for backup/storage. The problem is that the large backup drive is not seen in "computer". It is seen in device manager as well as in disc management under admin. tools, but only as a partitioned drive between approx. 2 TB and 1TB unallocated. There is no drive letter assigned to this drive under Disc management. Two questions, one, how do I get the 3TB backup drive to be recognized from "computer"? and two, can I format the 3TB drive to only have the one 3TB partition? Thanks so much in advance for all you guys do to help numbnuts like me! Any response is well appreciated!

2. trevordk

trevordk

If you right-click on the unallocated drive, it should give you the option to format, which you will need to do in order for Windows to be able to read/write to it. During this, you will be able to assign a drive letter.

If you want to have a 3TB partition as opposed to 2TB/1TB, you need to format using GPT file allocation, as opposed to NTFS.

3. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the reply!! I reformatted to the GPUI or GPT format, and it does show as a 3TB drive now but it still has no drive letter. When I right click on the drive line, the unallocated space area or the header, all options are 'greyed' or 'dithered' out and are non operational. The options are functional for my C drive or boot drive but not for the big one. I'm stuck. Thanks for the suggestion though, I thought that would work.

4. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Not sure if this counts but I don't think the drive is recognized in the BIOS. It doesn't seem to be but I'm not savvy at all about tinkering with the BIOS, I always try to just leave that alone. But I looked and I see the WD drive but not the Seagate.

5. trevordk

trevordk

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to make sure the drive is detected in the BIOS or it may not function properly.

7. saikee

saikee

Windows 7 can do MSDOS or GPT partition tables. MSDOS partition cannot address partition/hard disk larger than 2TB but GPT is OK. A MSDOS partition table is the one with 4 primaries. A GPT partition table has only primaries and you can have up to 128 partitions.

You first need to create the GPT partition. You then formatted the partition in NTFS filing system. It is the same two-step procedure dating back from the Dos system, same in Linux and same in every MS Windows.

Got a Sabertooth mobo myself and run several 3TB disks this way in Linux, Win7 and Win8. I even have them in Raid0 using 2 x3TB so my partition is 6TB.

8. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Thanks for all that info with the links, guy!! some of it a bitt over my head but i am trying to learn. How do I make the BIOS recognize the drive? Would the drive appear, even unlabeled in disc manager if the bios didn't see it? Thanks again so much for the help! I do appreciate your time!

9. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

And if it is recognized even unlabeled and formatted in disk manager it couldn't be a connection problem right??

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Enter the BIOS setup at bootup, probably DEL or F2, and see if the drive shows there. Yes, it is possible in some cases for a drive to be partially detected. But you also have two different SATA controllers, the built in AMD controller(brown ports) and the additional ASMedia controller(gray ports). Which one do you have the drive connected too? If to the ASMedia controller then it may not show up in the regular BIOS but in a secondary screen. I'd try moving the drive to whichever controller you currently do not have the drive connected too and see if it works better. You may have to delete the existing partitions and create a new GPT partition once moved in order to be able to format it and assign it a drive letter.

11. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Thanks Triple!!! In the BIOS the MBR WD drive is all that is detected. Actually I left the ASMedia ports alone to try to avoid problems. I will indeed try a different SATA port when I get home in the morning and see if that helps. I read somewhere that in some cases the BIOS needs to be updated for the board to play well with certain processors and other newer hardware. I attempted to mull through the instructions for that process on the ASUS website. I got quite confused with many terms there I do not understand. But that at not be a problem at all. I'll try the different port and see, I'll let you know. Thanks again so much for the help! You guys definately rock!!!

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I did look at the BIOS updates and only one mentioned a problem when the drive is in IDE mode and Windows XP is being used so I don't think it'll fix your issue. You could update the BIOS by placing the extracted BIOS update onto a USB stick and updating it from within the BIOS as Asus has a feature to do it that way. Or it can be done through Asus Update in Windows.

Try the ASMedia ports first.

13. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

so I should try and plug the 3TB Seagate into the ASMedia SATA port?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  15. saikee

saikee

The first post from the OP quoted
    This would suggest at the hard ware level the device has been recognized and is available for use.

Thereafter it is up to the OS to use it.

One only needs to bother with the Bios or which Sata Port to plug to if the disk is not reported in the Device Manager or Disk Management.

To understand the issue I plugged in a new 3TB Seagate hard disk, intended as a standby spare, I purchased a month ago from Amazon into an old PC with Win7 64 bit OS. When I clicked Disk Management the disk was reported with about 700GB and a message pop up saying that I must initialize the disk giving me two options. Option 1 is by MBR (Master Boot Record using by the MSDOS partition table) and Option 2 by GPT (GUID partition table). I selected the Option 2 but still didn't get the 3TB.

I then rebooted it to a Linux using Gparted, which reported the full 3TB, to recreated a new partition (MS Windows always partition a GPT disk with at least two partitions with one for internal use).

The full 3TB disk, 2.72TB after formatted to NTFS, is now usable in Win7.

I am pretty sure on my newer PC the full 3TB was created without any bother. From experience Linux has a better support on GPT disks so I tend to use it whenever I didn't get a satisfactory service from MS Windows.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice