Solved: Seagate can't get to be a slave.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

plysne

My tape backup finally gave up the ghost and I decided to put in a hard disk for backup which is fast, cheaper and more reliable. It's an older Gateway that I had Win 98 on and installed XP home ed. on. It's got a western digital drive in it and I just purchased a Seagate ST340014A IDE to mount for my backups. I was surprised to find that slave must have been removed from politically correct language because with the jumpers I can set it as Master, Cable select, or limit the drive to 36GB. No jumper combination for slave is even mentioned. Iv'e been at this for 5 hours now and figure it's time for my bowing to the team for the right answer. Never been let down yet! I started selecting Cable select because I really don't know when you use this and it was the farthest from master and limiting size whitch I do understand. That caused the computer to come up with NO OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND error. I removed my WD and set the Seagate to master and installed XP again on this drive. Went back to older setting and same message. Booted from install disk and went into Bios and it showed both drives. I have boot set up as first CD then Zip then hard disk. My understanding was if it didn't find what was required to boot on first HD it would auto to 2nd and use that if necessary. Still no go. Strangely when I went to install disk for Repair instead of Install my drives had been renamed and the was no D: drive. My zip was now C: my WD drive was D: and no other HD was found. OK. Do I have to call Seagate and get different driver and install first? But where do I set jumpers? I thought this would be like frosting a cake. I've done this 4 times before when jumper was a word.
Please give me some detailed instruction on how to set up this monster. I don't want to set my WD as Slave and Seagate as master and have to reinstall all this software again. Totally removing Seagate and just booting off my WD now has caused it to pause for 45 seconds on boot up between recognition of CD,Zip and showing my WD as the HD. Also had a message that not enough page memory allocated and had to increase that to get WD to boot. Still slower than molasses but once booted everything is there and have not noticed other glitches. Don't want to go much farther by myself as it looks like the whole system may get mucked up. I'll patiently await you expertise and do it right this time. Hope this gives enough info to show what conditions are so you can diagnose this very frustrated and sick patient!
Thanks again guys! Paul

According to the Seagate site, the slave setting for that drive is no jumper. In other words remove the jumper pin completely from the drive.

Unless I'm misinterpreting this, I think you'll find the solution is to just remove the jumper entirely.

Ah, ASCII graphics... takes me back.

cuda_ata_4_family_pic.gif

plysne

http://images.techguy.org/smilies/eek.gif
:eek: Now tell me. Just how hard would it be for Seagate to put on the jumper installations section, "SLAVE..NO JUMPER". When one can't boot up-> no internet to access Seagate to search for answer->therefor left out in the cold because of 3 imprinted words->DAH!!!
All that angst over removing a jumper. It took less than 10 minutes to have it all installed and performing beautifully with no error messages or drive reassignments. Bless You. You were both right on and now I can mark it solved. Thanks once again. My dues and donations make this the most worthwhile site on my computer. Thanks...Paul :eek:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
plysne said:
Just how hard would it be for Seagate to put on the jumper installations section, "SLAVE..NO JUMPER".
Uhh... On my Seagate 400gig drive, it has a picture of the jumper block with a jumper on a set of pins and says:

Master = ON
Slace = OFF

Seems like they did say that, right on the label.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online