1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Seagate drive not recognized in bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by treehstn, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. treehstn

treehstn Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have a Seagate ST320430A 20.4 GB ultra ata drive that will spin up but is not being recognized in either of two systems. The drive came out of a pc that was dying and I just rebuilt. I thought I had copied all the files I needed off of this drive. But now have figured out that of all the things for me to forget.... I didn't get the outlook.pst file. UGGG!!!

I've called a couple of local computer shops. The conscensus is that if it spins up but isn't recognized then the controller card on the drive is probably bad. If that is the case I'm being told that there's no hope.

1. Is it true that there's no hope if the controller card is bad?

2. What are the chances of me taking this apart and replacing the controller card from an identical drive?

3. I think I've set all the jumpers correctly for the drive. I can't remember if jumpers will prevent it from being recognized in the bios. I think I've tried all of the options though...

Thanks!

2. cwby74

cwby74

yes when the controller card on a hard drive goes dead then its usually comes to a dead end, personally i have never tried to rip it open and try to replace the controller card, something you could try and do if you wanted to try it, but wouldnt get your hopes up. as far as the jumpers go it doesnt matter where you put it on the hard drive it would show up in the system somewhere you would just have some conflicts going on that would let you know that you need to redo your settings on your drives.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Are you certain that you have one jumpered to master and 1 to slave? If so the drive is NG.

4. COCOCOOKIETECH

COCOCOOKIETECH

Hi! Well, Cwby74, I can't believe you said that "as far as the jumpers go it doesnt matter where you put it on the hard drive it would show up in the system somewhere you would just have some conflicts going on that would let you know that you need to redo your settings on your drives" ...That's the worst technical advice I've ever heard...It's just basics...!!!
    Hi, treehstn! Like "Rich-M" said, if you have more than one Hard Drive make sure they're properly connected as a Master and Slave or Cable Select. For that, you have to read the documentation corresponding to that drive and make sure the jumpers are set CORRECTLY...otherwise, it won't be recognized by the BIOS therefore by the system. It will spin because it has power but you need to make sure that its jumpers are set according to the manufacturer. If that doesn't work, then it could be the controller. Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice