1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Seagate FreeAgent External Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kolias, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I just bought an external hard drive (Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk, 1.5TB) and have some difficulty setting it up using the Seagate DiscWizard software.

The reason I bought this drive is to clone my DELL Inspiron 6400 Laptop HD in case of disaster etc. The Laptop HD is 140GB and 70GB are taken for my files / programs. So I was able to clone the Laptop HD but when I reboot, after I changed the BIOS settings to boot from the USB, the Laptop starts and during the process of loading Vista it re boots by itself.

Looking on the explorer, I have the Main C:\ drive, and then I have the Recovery D:\ (that is where DELL put the recovery files), then I have E:\ which is the DVD drive and then are the new cloned drives F:\ Recovery and G:\ Main.

Now checking the properties of F:\ and G:\ they are both formatted as NTFS and the F:\ is 10 GB as my original and the G:\ is only 70GB as the original so the clone process made the external drive only 70GB.

I think the problem is that the G:\ should have been before the F:\ but not sure.

Any Ideas on how to go about it?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows will not boot from a USB drive. If the goal was to clone the existing drive to boot from a new drive, what you have isn't going to work. You need to create an image of the internal drive on the GoFlex. Then install a new internal drive, and restore the image to it.

3. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I'm surprised with this; I mean the software has a command if I want to make the USB HD bootable and my BIOS also has an entry to boot from the primary HD, DVD, USB and something else which I forget.

I'm not an expert but if what you saying is correct, then why the BIOS has the USB boot entry?

Perhaps if I make a primary partition on the external HD it may work?

Thank you

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The computer supports booting from USB devices. Windows does not support booting from and running from an externally, USB connected drive.

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Just for giggles I have an external drive that's 15ft. away, sitting on a bookshelf that's running a desktop PC. Its eSATA though, not USB. At some point though I wonder if Microsoft will add support for running on USB3? Its fast enough and I run a couple VMs very successfully on USB3.

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Nah, it will never happen because MS isn't going to make it easy for a single copy of Windows to run on multiple machines. It's all about antipiracy and the revenue stream.

7. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Now I do have a bootable partition on the external drive (F:\) along with a copy of my C:\ drive and when I reboot I have the option to "Start Windows Vista" which is my C:\ drive or "Start Copy of Windows Vista" which is my F:\ drive.

Starting Windows Vista works like before but Starting Copy of Windows Vista stops half way thru the Vista loading and reboots. Running the Windows diagnostic I found that there are two drivers errors and I know that the backup software which made the clone on the F:\ drive said that I manually have to install the required drivers.

The copy of Windows Vista doesn't even start in Safe Mode. Anyone knows how do I install the drivers?

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

As I said previously, you cannot boot and run Windows from an external USB drive.

9. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I don’t want to sound stubborn but I believe that there is a way to boot Windows from an external drive as long as we look at it from a different perspective.

I also have the backup software AISBackup which is an excellent program and I use it for many years; this software has an command “Copy AISBackup to USB Flash Drive”. I did this and now after switching the Laptop BIOS I boot to a GUI which only let me manage the AISBackup backups I did in the past or Restore. So I’m thinking if this program can boot the external HD then there must be a way to make it boot with Windows and not necessary with Windows Vista.

I do not have a particular reason to boot from the external HD; just cloning my C:\ to it is sufficient and much more convenient then using DVD’s but it will be much more convenient if I could boot with it. I like to learn and the challenge to make this HD bootable is very interesting.

I also have an ASUS Dual Core Desktop witch I built myself a couple of years ago and it runs XP (SP3). So now I’m looking into the option to clone the XP partition into the external HD (or even installing the XP), then connect it to the Laptop and perhaps after I edit the boot menus, it may (should?) work.

Any suggestions?

10. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Actually, it isn't that hard. DoubleH and I lied. You just need to carry the USB drive of your choice to the nearest graveyard, and, before midnight, be sure you have a fire builded high. Eat a mouthful of graveyard dirt. Cold on the stroke of Midnight, cut away your manhood, cast it into the flames, and chant "Microsoft, Microsoft, Microsoft, I love you! Help me forever for a Love that's True! Make this a Boot Device!" three times while the blood of your sacrifice pours forth upon your boot device. Then it will work. Friends I trust have told me this is infallible

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

It won't work. Even if it were possible otherwise, the copy of Windows on your hard drive was installed there and Windows will not boot from a different drive than it was installed to, even if both were internal drives. It will never boot from an external since from its point of view, it is on a completely different machine.

You have already been told by people who know what they are talking about what you can do and what you can't. You would be using your time more efficiently trying to find a workable solution to your problem than wasting everyones' time pursuing the unworkable ones. It appears that you lack knowledge of some of the basics about how Windows works and boots.

We would be happy to help you with your problem. If, however, you prefer to beat a dead horse, we'll just close this thread and go on about our other business. There are others waiting who need help, too.

12. Hughv

Hughv

13. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Wow….never thought an answer like that will ever come from a “moderator” in the techguy.org.

Forums exist to provide a discussion base on various not offensive subjects and the rules are if you don’t like the subject, just don’t look at it.

Forums do not exist to judge others and for you to say that “I lack knowledge”, “beat a dead horse” and “go on about our other business” is offensive and not appropriate in a forum

Forum members have an opinion and we should all respect that opinion.

I may lack knowledge on the basics about Windows, but at least I have the courtesy of respecting the opinion of others.

I feel very sorry for you mate

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, I think we are aware of that method. But it does nothing to solve this problem since he already has the Windows installation.

Then there is the problem of getting it to the new drive later.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Disrespect of staff will not be tolerated, either. I see nothing at all offensive in what I have said, unless you are a horse.

This is a technical forum, not a blog for discussing your opinions. Solutions to problems are not "opinions", but facts. The fewer opinions in a technical forum, the better. Problems are not solved by the outcome of votes or the popularity of proposed solutions. If you would like to pursue a solution to your problem, please do so. There are other places appropriate for opinions or for dogmatic pronouncements on the purpose of forums.

Have you considered the options that have been offered by the members, or do you wish to pursue this thread any longer?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1038503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice