1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Seagate FreeAgent Go

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ottiliegirl, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ottiliegirl

ottiliegirl Thread Starter

After a disastrous session where a company took control of
    my laptop, I now feel the need to erase everything on my portable Seagate FreeAgent Go drive in order to start over with a clean slate. The erase method suggested in the manual is only to be used if your drive locks up on you. Can anyone tell me how to clean the drive and start over. Thanks for any help you can give.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you just want to delete everything on the drive, you can simply delete the partition in disk management. Create a new partition and format with FAT32 or NTFS.
    If you are really paranoid that there is something on the disk, you can wipe or secure erase the drive then do the above ie create a new partition and format.

There are a number of utilities that will wipe a drive however I use parted magic linux for this task [along with a number of other tasks]
    Here is a link to the last free version;
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/parted_magic.html

3. ottiliegirl

Thank you for your reply. I was hoping there was some way to do this without installing any additional program to my already compromised laptop. I need to get the laptop back working properly 100% before I introduce new software but I appreciate your reply and will consider it later.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do not need to install anything; the linux link I gave you runs from bootable media ie a live usb or dvd. It is also an extremely useful tool to have on hand for file rescue, secure erase of ssd type drives, hard disk testing, etc, etc.

5. ottiliegirl

[Not sure I understand. Do I download the program to a USB ? If so then what? I'm sorry but I'm not sure I am knowledgeable enough to know my way around these things. If it's not too much trouble can you spell it out for me. I appreciate your help.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, the linux distro comes as an iso file. You burn the iso using something like cdburnerxp, imgburn, nero, etc. [The first two are free downloads] If you want to make a bootable usb, you can use unetbootin or rufus [again both free downloads]
    The unetbootin site has detailed instructions on how to make the bootable usb;
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

If you choose to make a dvd, you need both a blank dvd, and a burning program. Right click on the iso file [after you download it] and choose to open with whatever burning program you have. It will then give you a few prompts and start buring the dvd. Once you create either the dvd or usb, you need to access your bios and set it to boot from the dvd/usb as the first boot device.

With all of that said, what exactly are you attempting to accomplish ie clean install of windows, wipe your drive and clean install, what?
    Do you have the install and or recovery disks for your laptop?

7. ottiliegirl

This is not for my laptop. It is to erase all backups currently on my FreeAgent Go portable Drive so I can start over with a clean slate to make new backups. What you have suggested is beyond the scope of anything a know how to do. I appreciate your help but I am not familiar enough with working on computers to undertake this task. With the price of these what it is I might be better off to just buy a new portable drive for my backups.]
    Thank you for trying to help.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it is just that you want to get rid of whatever is on the drive, just format the drive either in disk management or explorer. That will get rid of everything on the drive.

I was thinking you wanted to wipe the drive because of some virus, malware, etc on the drive. A simple format will do what you want. You can even select quick format to save some time.

9. ottiliegirl

That sounds like something I can handle. I will definitely look into that. Thank you

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice