1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Seagate ST340825 install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doggyhairball, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doggyhairball

doggyhairball Thread Starter

I got my self a used seagate ST340825 40 gig HD and it is not showing up as a drive yet my system device manager is showing it in it's menu:confused: . My question is how am I supposed to get this device to show up so it can be formated and my old drive cloned on to it it?

2. Flags

Flags

How did you configure it in relation to your other drive? Master/Slave or Cable Select?

3. doggyhairball

I removed the drive jumper according to the pictograph that was on the drive to make it a slave. The main problem is this thing shows up in the device manager but isn't showing up in the my computer panel. I also turned it on in the bios section and it showed only 10mb:confused: which is very strange. I also searched through seagate and google looking for it and it was not listed I did how ever find a article that stated that it was pulled from a sat TV box and could possibly be locked as well as imported from Asia with the boxes.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right-click Computer, Manage, Disk Management. See what that says.

5. doggyhairball

Kudos Evandil thats all I needed to find to partition the drive. Now how do I wipe this new drive and clone the old one onto this new one... I am looking at active kill and convar's PC cloner. Let me know what you wonderful folks think of these programs. I have a one gig removable memory stick that I need to burn onto a CD that I might be able to use as a bootable media I also have a 256 MB stick I don't know which one would be better for using as bootable media so let me hear your thoughts.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

There's quite a few options.

saikee's "How to migrate an operating system to a bigger hard disk." using Linux

Free Drive Cloners/Imagers:

XXClone
    CloneZilla
    Partition Saving
    PCI CloneMaxx
    Drive Image XML
    EaseUs Disk Copy
    HDClone
    DriveClonerXP

Commercial Apps:

O&O DiskImage
    Acronis True Image Home
    Keriver Image
    Avanquest Copy Commander
    Paragon Drive Backup
    NovaBackup
    R-Drive Image
    Norton Ghost
    HDClone Pro or Enterprise
    Terabyte Image for Windows
    Terabyte Image for DOS (can directly access FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions)
    Spotmau Disk Clone & Backup

----------------------------------------

HOW TO CLONE A DRIVE WITH KNOPPIX-------->

1. Acquire Knoppix (www.knopper.net).

2. Acquire a second hard drive and install on the second IDE controller as master. The new disk drive is /dev/hdc

3. Boot knoppix.

4. Open a terminal window, and enter "cfdisk /dev/hda." Note the partition size.

5. Open a second terminal window and enter "cfdisk /dev/hdc." Create the new partition exactly the same size as the one above, and set the type the same. Make it bootable. Write the partition table.

6. In a third terminal window, switch to root via "su." Issue the command "dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc" This command will duplicate your main disk drive onto the hdc disk drive. It takes about an hour for every 10- 20 GBytes of disk size. Keep in mind that this duplicates the entire disk drive partition, including all the empty sectors.

7. Disconnect the disk from the IDE cable to prevent any possible modification to it.

8. To switch to the new disk drive, simply switch the IDE cables on the motherboard! That is it!!

7. doggyhairball

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not sure if HDClone supports NTFS in the free version, but that is the one I use most (pay version). The free one might do it if from smaller to larger drives (or the same size).

XXClone is the second best choice.

The good news is that you are free to try them since you always have the original if you don't erase it :D.

9. doggyhairball

It looks like the XXClone program is the one that will work the best... again thank you so much for your help. If there is any way I can help with simple things such as webcams and printers let me know I might be able to help.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good luck and let us know how you come out. Your help will be much appreciated. That's what we all do: Look at the posts and help where we think we can.

11. doggyhairball

Ok now this is pissing me off I have downloaded XXclone twice installed it in two different drives and it still shows just the C drive. Am I doing something wrong here or is my computer just out to piss me off?

12. Flags

Flags

Man, I don't think this is supposed to be this much trouble. Is it possible that this HDD is not for Desktop installation?
    I searched google and Seagate both and Segate doesn't even list the ST340825 in Desktop HDD's, so maybe it's something special for a different application. ???

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

If the drive isn't visible, partition and format it the way it will be when done. Not all apps copy over the partitions.

14. Blazintails

Blazintails

Maybe a silly question, but what is the file format on both HDD's?

Ive seen XP hdd's with fat32 format then when they try to add another that is NTFS it causes problems.

This HDD is for a PC as posted in another forum:

Seagate ST340825 U Series 5AV Drive, ATA100 5400RPM NO-DMA ATA33 Random Access Time(milliseconds, lower is better) 20ms
    Read Burst Speed(megabytes per second, higher is better) 7.8mbps

15. doggyhairball

The new drive was partitioned just like the old one they both have NTFS formats I tried it twice and it still told me to pound sand. So I got my self a few antique floppies and I am gonna re download the PC inspectors clone maxx and give that a shot.. I hope this will work this time.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice