1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Seagte free Agent 250GB USB drive .

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by timothye, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

HI . I'll try and make is as short as possible .

I bought the drive came home and installed in on a PC with XP SP_2.
    Stated the machine and it took forever to load up windows ( not normally like this )
    Went to start to transfer files over , and no disc to be found anywhere (?)
    Start/MyPc/properties/hardwareTab/device manager/ and there is nothing to indicate there is a USB hd connected to my machine .
    right click mypc/manage/discManagement and still no disc shows up in the menu .(?)
    restart the PC .
    NOW for the first time ever my pc takes forever to shut down and restart .
    when the pc restarts repeat the above and still no disc to be found anywhere .
    while plugged in and connected to the machine i unplug the power to the drive and plug it back in , now outta nowhere XP says it has found a new Seagate drive . YAY right , wrong !
    i restart my machine and the slow shutDown and restart is still happening ( thumbs down )
    when the pc restarts ( finally ) i check the shortCut i made for the HD on my desktop , no hd icon just a grey box with a Question mark . so i unplug and plug the power cable as i did before and bang there it is again ( the hd )

no with this going now i copy over about 100GB which i desperatly need off another internal drive i have ( backed up ) .
    well i start to copy and receive an error " Delayed copy failure" bubble from the system tray . Im not the best pc tech but i can hold my own ,and i have never had any problems with this pc . now outta no where i ahve problems ..
    i bought this drive because i need more storage and isnt anything as it says on the seagate box .
    i cant even get it to work right , and i shouldnt . i should buy it connect it to my pc and it should work ..

so now i try and get to the bottom of this .
    start searching the forums and i find that SO many are having the same issues , tells me that this drive isnt going to be for me .

'things i cannot do
    1# i cannot format the drive
    2# the seagate system tools dont work
    3# delay write failure continues
    4# drive is detected and then not

things i have done
    1# i disabled it from the boot sequence, in the BIOS .
    2# tried many other USB ports
    3# different USB cable

any suggestions ?

Cheers T

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Seems to be various causes to the delayed write error. Mine was incompatibility between a USB 2.0 add on card and one brand of external (Calvary) hd. External worked fine on every other USB port in the house and every other external hd worked fine with the 2.0 add on card.

Mix'em together...delayed write error.

4. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

@AcaCandy

i read all the posts in the link you sent to me ..
    Loads f problems out there ( as usuall ) but nothing i do so far has fixed the problem .
    Thx for the help

T

5. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

actually i fixed the problem .
    i returned it and bought a new hd internal ..

now all is well

cheeers t

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

That's one way of fixing it (y)
    You can mark the thread solved using the THREAD TOOLS drop down menu.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/668951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice