1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Search Engine Preferences do not save.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dougglos, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    I am using Google Chrome as my default browser, and Bing when I want to carry out web searches. Recently my preferences have stopped being saved and revert to the defaults. For example, I don't want suggestions when I begin entering details of anything I want to search for, but as soon as I start typing up they come! Also, I want to limit search results to 30 per page, but again they revert to "Auto" which gives me about ten results only. When I alter them back to how I want these items, I do make sure that I save them. I may go two or three days without problems but then they play up again! I am making no changes to anything and wondered why this keeps happening. Any advice would be appreciated.

SYSTEM INFO:-

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 925 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4095 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5450, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 421698 MB; E: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 847076 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M2N68-AM SE2
    Antivirus: Norton 360 Premier Edition, Updated and Enabled

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Normally an extension is the cause
    https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6029416?hl=en

Sometimes it is a corruption in the file where your settings are saved.
    If that is the case the easy answer is to save your bookmarks etc to a file - export - options, the wrench icon of course, bookmark manager, organise and then export bookmarks
    uninstall chrome
    REBOOT
    Reinstall Chrome and import your bookmarks etc

3. renegade600

renegade600

are you running any type of security software that locks your home page and other settings to prevent changes? if so, try disabling it to see if it is causing the problem

4. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Macboatmaster - I have followed your suggestions and have now re-installed Chrome, and etc. So far no further problem with preferences, so will keep an eye on it for a day or two.

renegade600 - not running any such security software that might have caused this, so as mentioned above will keep an eye on it for a few days.

Thanks to both.

5. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    As I said, extensions are sometimes the cause, failing that usually the file where your settings are saved is to blame.
    Registry cleaners can also cause it.

Save your settings without being signed in

When you're not signed in, updating your search settings page saves your settings to the browser and computer youÂ’re using at the time.
    These settings may change if:

• You switch to another computer or browser with different settings.
    • Someone else visits the Search settings page and changes the settings.
    Note: When you're not signed in, your settings are saved in a small browser file on your computer called a cookie

http://www.google.com/preferences

When you are signed in the settings are saved to a file in Chrome

6. Macboatmaster

The file where they are saved is

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\
    Inside this folder there is a Temp folder, several global files, and then a folder for each profile. Most settings are profile-specific, so you'll probably want to look in there.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice