1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Search engines ideas I'm trying

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by robbbb, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robbbb

robbbb Thread Starter

Hello

I have had a site for years but never really tried to get it on search engines. The index and a few pages are. The only images in an image search are from the index page.
    I am trying something to get on image search but don't really know enough about this sort of thing to know if it will do any good. I put many small images on the index page that all link to relevant pages in the site but not necessarily second pages. Will this get a bigger image count on Google and will the links these images are, lead to many more pages found in a search?

2. knight_47

knight_47

A sitemap for your site would help a lot (google takes xml sitemaps, but even a html is good) I can make you one, all I need is the URL for your site.

If you havn't already, you can submit your URL to Google - http://www.google.com/addurl/ - this does not always work, and if it does, it takes a very long time.

Once the sitemap is created, you upload it to google (https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/sitemap, and this will help google get to your site faster.

Here are also more tips from google: http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=34397

3. robbbb

robbbb Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info.
    I am working on the site everyday so it keeps changing.
    www.oppenauer.com
    I'm not sure what a site map is. Do you think the idea of the pics on index linking to pages all over the site will help? It can be navigated by using only the links in the top right section or by hitting pics.

4. smalltown

smalltown

the more incoming links your site has, the more important google will think it is, so it will pay more attention to your site and index more pages.

so, get some incoming links:
    + Free directories
    + Find similiar sites to yours, put a link on your page to theirs, send a polite email to the webmaster asking him to do the same for you.

5. knight_47

knight_47

Did you block bots or spiders from accessing your site? Because the one I use to create sitemaps is not getting the pages from your site.

6. robbbb

robbbb Thread Starter

Hello
    Thanks guys. No I didn't block anything knowingly. I the site is built with Site Builder Yahoos tool.

7. knight_47

knight_47

8. robbbb

robbbb Thread Starter

Thanks knight. I went to your site and joined your forum. Really impressed with it!

9. robbbb

robbbb Thread Starter

One more thing. I just tried several times to put the site map onto SiteBuilder unsuccessfully
    just seems to go on for ever then stop. I did make the page larger and tried a few times.
    I always build the site by putting things on SiteBuilderfrom my files then publishing it to the site. All that takes very little time so I don't know why it won't go this way but there might be another way of getting it on line through file manger.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks
    rob

10. knight_47

knight_47

Is SiteBuilder an online web software tool? Where do you host your site? With yahoo? If so, are you allowed to use an FTP software?

11. robbbb

robbbb Thread Starter

SiteBuilder used to be on line but now you load it and can work off line then every time you "publish" (their tool not FTP i Think) the new or changed material goes to your site.

12. knight_47

knight_47

All you need to do is upload the xml file, and then use that URL for google.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice