1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Search function has overridden open function in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Stalin, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stalin

Stalin Thread Starter

Here's the deal - I have a quick shortcut to my C drive on the desktop, so that I can just double-click it and go straight to browsing my files. However, today, the search function decided to make itself the primary function. When I double-click it now, it opens a search window instead of the C: drive.

Can someone tell me how to make it so double-clicking it will, by default, use the "open" function instead of "search?" Thanks in advance!

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If the Windows Explorer opens up the Search Companion rather than opening up the actual folder, the default setting for opening a folder is changed.

To correct this:

Start Regedit
    Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Directory \ shell
    Edit the default value to be explorer or none

I have a Reg file available which will do this automatically for you at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#open_folder

3. Stalin

Stalin Thread Starter

I tried this (in fact, it was already set to "none," and I tried changing it to explorer), but it is still opening the search companion instead of the folder...

4. ACD

ACD

Have you checked for spyware? I had something like that happen to a server I was working on that got nailed, only instead of what you report, I could not do ANY searching, the search engine was GONE. If you havent done anything, and this just came about on its own, I would do a complete check of your system with different types of spyware tools, dont rely on just one.

5. Stalin

Stalin Thread Starter

I'll give it a try...can you recommend some tools other than Spybot S&D? That's the only one I have...

Oh, by the way, I also tried using the registry file that Bob Cerelli provided, but it didn't fix it either. It was already set to "none."

6. Stalin

Stalin Thread Starter

Using Spybot S&D, this is all that I found:

[​IMG]

The problem persists.

7. Stalin

Stalin Thread Starter

If, perhaps, it helps, in case anyone is unsure of what is happening, here is a picture of what happens when I right-click my little quick icon.

[​IMG]

So basically "search" has made itself the primary function over "open." I need "open" back on top.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

9. ACD

ACD

Now that you posted that, I have abetter idea what you are asking. Have you looked under folder options and checked the settings? look under file types, you should see a list of functions, and you might be able to find the one for your shortcuts as well.

10. ACD

ACD

Oh and to your other question, Spyware blaster and winpatrol are two others I used. There is also another one that is not freeware, but has a trial period and for the life of me, the name is on the tip of my tongue but cant think of it. It shares an engine with one of the others but has a more extensive database and more options.

11. Stalin

Stalin Thread Starter

This one worked beautifully. Thanks guys! I'll try the other spyware tools too, just in case I happen to have any more spyware. Thanks again.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

No problem. Clean the thing up and mark your problem "solved" under Thread Tools.

Good luck. :D.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!