1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Search Function in Windows XP Not Working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rhmillerjr, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rhmillerjr

Rhmillerjr Thread Starter

For no apparent reason, the Search Function on my Dell Dimension 4300 Pentium 4 computer has stopped working in Windows Normal Mode. When I go to START and click on Search, the computer freezes up momentarily (30 seconds to 1 minute) and then unfreezes; but the Search window never comes up. The Search Function works fine in Windows Safe Mode. My operating system is Windows XP Professional.

What could be the problem?

Bob

2. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

Hi

Try turning of Indexing Services

start/ run/ services.msc

scroll to Indexing Service

Stop the service, see if that helps

joan

3. Rhmillerjr

Joan:

When I checked Indexing Service, I found that it was already stopped on my computer. So the prolem is something else

Bob

4. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

try the following commands

start/run

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 wshom.ocx

you should get a message after each command that it has succeeded

hope this helps

joan

5. Rhmillerjr

================================================

Joan:

I tried the above suggestion, which did not solve the porblem. I then decided to follow Elvandil's suggestion in a response to someone else who was having a similar problem. The suggestion was to download Agent Ransack at

http://www.mythicsoft.com/aqentransa..l.?page=download

and to use Agent Ransack until the problem with the Windows XP Search Function could be solved.

Indeed, as Elvandil stated, I do find it to be a better search engine than the Widnows XP Search Function. But after using Agent Ransack for several days, I have just clicked on my Windows XP Search Function icon and and now find it to have started back working just as mysteriously as it had stopped working. But, then, maybe the restoration of the working of my Widnows XP Search Function is a result of by having rebooted my computer two or three times over several says after having executed your suggestion.

So I guess I should just be happy that it is now working again and proceed to the next problem.

Bob

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!