Solved: Search instead of Windows Explorer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TerryNet

Terry
Double clicking on my hard drive, floppy, optical drives or USB flash drives results in a new "Search" window instead of the desired result of new contents in the My Computer window. The right click context menu for any of those drives shows 'Search ...' instead of 'open' at the top. This started a week or so ago with the hard drive, and has now spread to all drives.

I'm running Windows XP SP2, all critical updates; nothing detected by Norton Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware, Spybot or Windows Defender.

I tried Rollin' Rog's fix of "regsvr32 /i Shell32.dll" in another thread (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/511997-solved-cannot-access-c-when.html) and got a "success" message, but no change in the problem.

Is there another easy fix to try?

You can edit the registry if you are comfortable with that.
Start> Run> type: regedit and hit OK.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Directory \ shell

Click on Shell folder in the left pane and in the right pane, click the (Default) value
Click Modify from the Edit menu
Type the word none in the Value data box, and then click OK

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Drive \ shell
and do the same as above.
Close the regedit and reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.

TerryNet

Terry
Thank you, gurutech; and thank you Augie65.

Since the Kelly's Corner fix was a subset of Augie's I did the latter. All is well now.

Thanks again for your prompt responses.
Terry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.