1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Searching for my "Search" function!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Polly1016, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Polly1016

Polly1016 Thread Starter

I followed all of your instructions, Rollin', by checking, unchecking and disabling the things you've suggested but to no avail. The search function didn't work.

Also, over the last 24 hours I'm getting frequent popups from the systray that are from Norton saying "Rules have been automatically created for Windows Messenger". I've never seen that before ... or at least that I can remember. Windows Messenger is disabled!!!!!!!! I disabled it manually quite awhile ago!!!!! I do not have any other messengers at this time. I did have MSN Messenger a long time ago but uninstalled it many months ago. This message pops up every 10 minutes or so. It will go away by itself or if I click on OK. Any thoughts on that?

No one else has ever used this computer except my grown daughter who visited over Christmas and used it to access her email from her office in Chicago.

I'm probably willing to leave the search function inoperable because I know if I really need it, I can use it in safe mode.

I'm confused and not sure what I should do at this point.:(

I sincerely appreciate all of your help and if you have other suggestions I will continue to try anything you suggest. (y)

UPDATE:

As of this afternoon my computer won't shutdown/restart using the usual method. It hangs up and I let it go for 2 hours today just to see and it wouldn't shut down. I have to turn it off at the tower now! More Problems!!!!!! Any suggestions?

UPDATE 2:
    I've run Panda Active Scan and it found some suspicious things so I'm going to post this new problem in the security forum. Thank You, Rollin' (y)

http://forums.techguy.org/security/431177-hoping-youll-help-me-2nd-time.html

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm not sure how serious those infections are -- but you might want to consider doing a System Restore and see if they are detected after that, any place but the restore archive.

And see if the shutdown problem continues. Run it from Safe Mode for best chance of success.

Once the system is clean and stable, other than the search problem -- I can upload the Srchasst.inf file here for you to use -- though I'm skeptical it will resolve the problem -- it might.

About "Windows Messenger", I'm not sure what to tell you about that since you are seeing a Norton message. I would assume there is some configuration option within the program that determines whether it looks for those issues.

3. Polly1016

Polly1016 Thread Starter

Thanks, Rollin' ... I did a system restore but the problems persist. Windows Messenger is disabled and has been for a very long time. I'm not sure why Norton is now popping up telling me that Rules have been created, etc. (or something like that).

Something isn't right with this computer all of a sudden and I can't figure out what it is. Every scan I've put it through seems to come up fairly clean.

I guess I'll just wait and see!

Thanks for following this with me! ;)

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When something like that shutdown problem happens and System Restore doesn't fix it, one has to think about hardware.

If the shutdown problem only happens after the system has been on for awhile -- it might be heat related.

5. Polly1016

Polly1016 Thread Starter

You've been great, Rollin!! Everything seems fine ... other than the search function which I'm not worried about anymore because I can run it in safe mode if I need it.

I've run a lot of scans that the security folks suggested and one or the other seems to have solved my problem.

This is the security thread!
    http://forums.techguy.org/security/431177-hoping-youll-help-me-2nd-time.html

Thank you so much for your help!! (y) It's great to know that you folks are out there!!!! :)

Mary Ann~

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Glad to hear most things have sorted out. If Search ever starts working in normal mode, I'd be interested in knowing what change brought it about.

You're most welcome for the support.

Here is a copy of srchasst.inf if you want to give it a whirl.

Attached Files:

7. Polly1016

Polly1016 Thread Starter

Well, Rollin' ... I guess I'm going to show my ignorance here but can you tell me just what to do with the file you've been so kind to send me? I guess you'll have to walk me through it. Would I just unzip it and right click to install? If so, where would I install it to? :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Set a System Restore checkpoint before proceeding.

Extract it to the c:\windows\INF folder.

Then right click on it and select "install"

If you are prompted for a disk, and don't have one, try pointing it to c:\I386

If it can't find something, note the file name and I can probably provide it.

9. Polly1016

Polly1016 Thread Starter

Well, Rollin', I'm stuck right out of the gate!! I went to C: >Windows > ... and then looked for the "INF" folder but there is no such folder!!:eek:

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's a "hidden" folder by default.

You must enable "show hidden files" in Folder Options > View.

I thought you'd been there before when looking previously.

11. Polly1016

Polly1016 Thread Starter

Hi Rollin',

Yep... I remembered about the hidden files and opened them and I'm telling you that there is no "INF" folder there! :eek:

Should I be going in to System 32??? Somehow I think not, so again, I can tell you it just isn't there. I can also take a screen shot of what I'm seeing and post it if that would help! :eek: :eek: :eek:

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Gads, if you are missing the whole INF folder, you may have many future problems, particularly in reinstalling Windows drivers, if needed.

If you enter c:\windows\inf in the address bar, do you get there?

If it's really missing, you may need to do a reinstall from scratch.

Attached Files:

• INF.jpg
      INF.jpg
      File size:
      55.5 KB
      Views:
  13. Polly1016

Polly1016 Thread Starter

OK!!! I'm really freaking out now!!! You are showing a screenshot once you are into "INF". That's the problem... I can't get that screenshot because all I can do is go to C> Windows and after opening the Windows tree there is no INF!!!!!!!

Also, how did you upload that neat screenshot? The only way I know how to do it is ALT > Print Screen and then I have to paste it into Word or another program. I tried Irfanview and it wasn't really legible. Also, I don't get an address bar when I'm in just the Windows Tree. What the heck is going on????????????????

Also, please see post #4 in the security forum that people have been so graciously helping me with. I didn't delete the file that Khazars mentions because I wasn't sure how to get it back. Sooooooooo, I don't think that has anything to do with any files or folders that are missing but I'm telling you that I'm freaking out about the "INF" folder that I don't have. I'll be back on later tonight and come right back in here to see if you've responded.

http://forums.techguy.org/security/431177-solved-hoping-youll-help-me-2nd-time.html

Have a nice evening and weekend :)

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I use Irfanview > Options > capture > foreground window (then select ctrl-f11).

http://www.irfanview.com/

In Explorer, select View > toolbars and see if the "address bar" is checked.

Here's what I would do about the INF folder problem; it's an impefect workaround, but it may save you some future issues.

You will need to do this in Safe Mode, since you will need the "search" utility to do this.

First create a new folder in C:\windows and name it INF

You can give it a hidden attribute if you like (right click > Properties)

In Safe Mode, navigate Explorer to c:\I386 and do a search within that directory for all:

*.inf

files and copy them to your new c:\windows\INF folder.

use Edit > Select All; then right click on a highlighted file > copy; then paste these into the INF folder.

Next, locate c:\windows\servicepackfiles\I386

and follow the same procedure there.

Now you will get a humungous number of "file already exists", "do you want to overwrite".

Select the "Yes to ALL" option and let it procede.

15. Polly1016

Polly1016 Thread Starter

Sorry, we were typing at the same time. Please see the post that I edited right above yours! Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice