Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Second Card for Crossfire

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Elunah 
#1 ·
Hello, folks! I'm thinking about getting a second HD4850 for a CrossFire setup, and I've never used a dual-card setup before, so I'd like to hear some tips and opinions. Right now, the card and motherboard I'm using are:

ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card (with DuOrb aftermarket cooler)

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

The second card I'm thinking about getting is:

POWERCOLOR AX4850 512MD3-DH Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

I'm aware from looking around that it's kosher to combine two cards from different manufacturers that have the same GPU. Is this true? The two cards really only differ in specs in terms of clock speed--the PowerColor has a clock of 635, compared to the ASUS' 625, but I should be able to easily squeeze another 1.6% out of the ASUS to match it.

So, my main questions are:

1) Is this a good second card for a CrossFire setup?
2) The motherboard, which is touted to support CrossFire, has one PCI-E x16 slot and one x4 slot. Is it worth it to use CrossFire on this board? I know there are boards out there with more capable CrossFire support.
3) Will a OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W power supply with 4 +12V rails @ 18A be sufficient to power these babies?

Thanks in advance!! :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe, no, no.
x4 mode will make the card run very slow. Two options here: 1: sell your 4850, buy a 4870 (OC,1GB?), GTX260, GTX280, 4870x2... Also a new power supply for most of them would be needed. #2(the bad choice): Get a new mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128332 and the second 4850. Will not perform nearly as well as the final price would allow with just one better card. Will also need a new power supply.

#4 ·
FFS, I just lost all of my 30min post.
Quick version: OCZ Stealth600 only outputs about 35-40 A on the combined 12 V rails, making it a tight fit for a better card/2 4850s. I would get at least something like Corsair TX650W.
Then again. 230 for a mobo, 160 for new 4850 is quite cheap for what they do. Re-installing your OS is one downside for this, though, so getting a GTX280 or Radeon 4870x2 is a good idea.

#5 ·
Ah, sorry about losing your post. Must have been quite informative! :D

I understand what you mean. I've never been much of a power supply guy myself, always going with the cheaper solutions, but I'm definitely starting to see the light when it comes to the difference between the +12V rails on those things.

Thanks a lot for your help. I think that I may wait until my next major computer revision to bother with a second card. My single 4850 will run all but the very top echelon of games at the highest settings, so I can't seem to justify replacing the motherboard right now. And also, my roommates would complain about piling even more power consumption into my room. It's a silicon-heated sauna as it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.