1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Second-hand computer, really slow

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jeefunk, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeefunk

jeefunk Thread Starter

All, I have obtained a second-hand PC, Toshiba Satellite C655 running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit. The thing is quite slow in every way imaginable. I have uninstalled almost all non-essential programs using "Uninstall a Program," run CCleaner, SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes AntiMalware, run Disk Cleanup & Disk Defragmenter.

What else can I do to help this thing out?

Ideally, a system recovery would be best, as there's nothing on the computer I care about keeping, but I have no disks.

Help? :)

2. replay

replay

How much memory does it have?

3. jeefunk

jeefunk Thread Starter

3 GB memory, i3 2310M CPU @ 2.1 GHz

Enough that it shouldn't be as slow as it is.

4. replay

replay

3gb is good.....4 would be better
    Does it have a recovery partition?
    Does it have a windows 7 COA on the case anywhere??

5. jeefunk

jeefunk Thread Starter

It does have a recovery partition. I hadn't thought of that. Does this seem like a decent guide for factory reset from recovery partition? http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/laptop/3462995/factory-reset-laptop/

I followed the first couple steps, but didn't execute it yet. Anything I should do before hand? From a search here, I understand that I need to go through device manager to write down the names of the sound card & a couple other things in case I need to go back to find drivers.

It has the COA on the bottom w/product key.

6. replay

replay

the recovery should load all the drivers........ after the recovery, it should be exactly the same as when it was new

also the toshiba website should have step by step instructions for the recovery

7. jeefunk

jeefunk Thread Starter

Thank you, kindly :)

It's running. I assume if that doesn't really fix it, it's likely a hardware issue of some sort?

8. replay

replay

well.... how is it running???
    what antivirus is loaded?

9. jeefunk

jeefunk Thread Starter

lol....I meant the reset is running. My bad :)

I usually run AVG antivirus. I've read a lot about Avast, but never used it. From my understanding it hogs less memory, so it may be worth a shot.

10. replay

replay

i read that norton is on that laptop???
    i am a big fan of MSE antivirus http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download
    also your laptop has a few different versions but i believe u can have 2x2 gig sticks of ram.......so that would help

dont forget to do the same steps as in post # 1...... adjust the startups......defrag...etc when the recovery has finished

11. vembutech

vembutech Banned

12. jeefunk

jeefunk Thread Starter

^All good tips.

Finally got home and a chance to boot it up & mess around with it. 10,000 times better! Runs like new! (big shock, right? lol)

I've never seen this many Windows Updates....181 updates & almost 1GB of files. Thanks a million.

13. replay

replay

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!