1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Second hard-drive drive letter assignment

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Southbound, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Southbound

Southbound Thread Starter

Hey kids:

I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I have my suspicions what the problem is and I hope I'm not right.

Recently my computer died. I pulled my hard drives and DVD drives and stuffed them in another box. I turned it on and it repeatedly restarted after a blue screen of death. The blue screen went by so fast I couldn't read it. Soooo, I reinstalled Windows XP Pro and SP3. After doing so, my second HD is not being assigned a drive letter. Device Manager sees it, Disk Manager sees it and says it's healthy, active and NTFS. Is there anything in the Registry I can change to make it accessible? (ALL of my music and personal documents are on this drive and I can't afford to lose ANY of it.) Or do I have to format it for the OS to recognize it as a drive? Please help soon.

Thanks.

2. adrian_johnson

adrian_johnson

Hi.
    Right click My Computer, click management, then enter the "Disk management application on the left.
    Right click the drive that has no letter, click "Change drive letter and paths, Click add, choose an unused drive letter, click OK, and you're set.

3. Southbound

I checked that, but it was greyed out. The only options available were 'Delete Partition' and 'Properties'.

4. Southbound

I was browsing through some other posts and found a problem similar to mine and it was suggested to try "TestDisk". I clicked on the link and downloaded the Beta version (6.11), ran it and was able to recover the lost partition. I can't recommend it highly enough. Every tech should have a copy of this. And the best part is it's FREE!

Thanks for the post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/816436