Solved: Second hard drive problems in vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

smithersjones

Hi can anyone help?
I have recently tried to install my old ide 80 gig hdd into my newish computor that has an 80 gig sata drive (partitioned 54 as boot C: and 19.9 as recover D) as the only hard drive.
I have a dvd drive connected to IDE 1 and I have connected my old hard drive onto IDE 2.
I have set the drive set to master as it is the only drive on that channel and have used the black connector onto the drive and the blue onto the board.
This is what reads in my bios;
IDE CHANNEL 0 MASTER HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA
IDE CHANNEL 0 SLAVE NONE
IDE CHANNEL 1 MASTER NONE
IDE CHANNEL 1 SLAVE ST380011A (this shows a capacity of 33822 mb)?
IDE CHANNEL 2 MASTER WDC WD800BD-00LRA0 (this shows a capacity of 80 gig)
IDE CHANNEL 3 MASTER NONE
DRIVE A NONE

ok so when I start my computer the hard drive I have installed does not show up in 'computer' or 'disk management', but it does show that I now have a floppy drive!
I have tried several jumper settings on the hard drive and used the grey connector on the drive, and also swapped channels with the dvd drive but I still get the same result.
All the IDE channels are set to auto detect.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

What's the MB make/model # ?

From your BIOS readings, it looks like theres a DVD drive on Channel 0.

The existing C&D HDD is the Seagate? Why is it set as a Slave by itself on channel 1?

smithersjones

Hi Thanks for your reply JSanguancheu.
Sorry i have been a while replying had a job locating the correct board details.
It is an MSI board MS-7255 I have downloaded the manual and there are no special instructions for installing an IDE Drive.
As you can see the Western Digital HDD I have installed shows up in the bios as a master on channel 2 which would be correct.
But can't understand why it does not show in 'my computer' or the 'disk management'!.
The existing drive is a Seagate as you stated but why is it only showing as 33 gig and shown as a slave?
Maybe it is because I have set the WD drive as a master, should I have set it to cable select, or maybe I should try and install it on the same ribbon as the dvd, setting the dvd to a slave.
I have built many pc's from scratch in the past with windows 98 and xp with no problems.
I have seen a lot of threads like this where the computer suddenly shows a floppy drive A when a second hard drive has been installed, but I have followed them and nobody seems to have to the bottom of it!
Hope you can shed some light on it.

Ahh..ok. Actual model number is P4M900M2-L
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1566

Alright..
Looking at your manual, it seems like channels 0 & 1 are the IDE channels since they support two devices each.
2 & 3 are the SATA channels.

The DVD drive is on channel 0 as master. - OK
Whatever you have on channel 1 seems to be the problem. If the IDE cable on channel 1 is the type with 3 connectors, the master drive must be on the connector at the end of the cable. The HDD jumper should be set to CS or MA. Don't use the middle connector on the cable (if there is one).

It looks like the WD is the original HDD on the SATA channel(2) and the HDD you're trying to install is the Seagate.

You should also make sure the Boot Priority is configure in BIOS correctly so your PC doesn't try to boot from the new HDD.

smithersjones

Right forget the comments in my last post I got it totally wrong, had two screaming kids distracting me!
My original hard drive is showing correctly as the 80 gig sata as you said.
I have the IDE drive installed as you described on the last connection on the ribbon and set to master.
I will now set it to cable select and try that
Any idea where the floppy a: drive has appearred from?

smithersjones

Hi I have just swapped the jumper to cable select and the bios found as the full 80 gig, and the computer shows it as local disk g:.
So we've cracked it ! still got the floppy A: Drive showing but I will look into that.
Thanks for all your help greatly appreciated.(y):D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online