1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Second internal drive for backup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rbuck, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbuck

rbuck Thread Starter

I am currently using a Dell 8300 desktop with a 500gb sata hard drive. I run Windows 7 Home Premium. I use no more than 50 gb of the hard drive. I would like to have a backup of the whole drive including the operating system. In a primary hard drive failure I would like to boot from the 2nd drive. I have Acronis TRUE IMAGE 11 Home which I have never used.

I thought about buying an 80 gb internal drive to use as backup. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. I have sufficient skills (not used recently!) to install the 2nd drive and have an empty bay.

Maybe an external drive would be better but can it be made bootable for system replacement?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can certainly clone your existing drive as a backup however IMO I would use acronis to make an image backup of your drive. In the event of drive failure, you simply boot with the acronis boot CD and restore the image [to your new or replacement drive]

You can store multiple images on your backup drive so you can choose which one to use. When I do an install, I make an image of the clean install, drivers, etc. If I ever want to "clean install" again, it takes all of 5min or so to boot and restore the image. Clean install done.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice