1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Second monitor not showing up with new video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krazeecrw, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krazeecrw

krazeecrw Thread Starter

Hey all-

I have a user with a Gateway system running Windows XP. We are putting a video card into the system (PCI) in order for her to utilize dual monitors. I installed the card and it is being recogninzed properly in the system, however when I go to "Extend the Windows Desktop" to the second screen it never comes up. The first monitor works fine. The setting is accepted as if it recognizes the monitor, it is just the screen never comes up. The first monitor is on the original VGA port that came with the computer.

I have done this configuration in the past on the exact same model of system with the same issue and the problem was generally solved after installing and uninstalling the card several times. Is there something I can try to get this second monitor recognized without having to uninstall and reinstall again?

The card is an ATI Radeon9250 PCI. The two monitors are identical Dell Flat Screens. I tried switching the monitors around and both work fine as well.

I appreciate it!!!

2. Parkman

Parkman

Is the integrated video still showing up as the primary display? What about setting the PCI to primary display and utilizing both video inputs for the extended desktop. Looks like there is one DVI and one VGA connecter on the card, no?

3. krazeecrw

krazeecrw Thread Starter

The options in the BIOS for Primary Video is AGP or PCI. There is no AGP slot on the board. If I change it to PCI, it looks to the new card but the screen does not display. I have made this card work on the same system specs but it took a lot of manipulating. It is rather strange.

4. Parkman

Parkman

Are the Bios versions the same on the other build and this one? I just recently had a situation like this with 2 identical builds but since one was older it had a different bios and that ended up being the issue. Just a shot in the dark i guess.

5. krazeecrw

krazeecrw Thread Starter

actually even simpler than that..the connector was dsm59 and i had it plugged in the wrong way...turned it around and works fine....

6. Parkman

Parkman

nice!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice