1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Second router (WRT54G) as wireless access point

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Teletec, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Teletec

Teletec Thread Starter

Hello.I'm adding an old Linksys WRT54G to my home network as an access point to get a stronger signal at the end of the house. I've read about 6 other posts on how to do this so still probs.

When I change the second router ip address to 10.0.0.254 (the primary router is set up with a DHCP range of 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.252 and its IP address is 10.0.0.1) I can't log back into it! I've reset the Linksys and started over a couple of times. It's default IP is 192.168.1.1 and I changed the settings to the 10.0.0.254.

I have a Comcast router (SMCD3GNV) and have it wired to my second router - the WRT54G. All the example posts use the example home network of 192.168.0.1. I want to keep the primary router network - which is using 10.0.0.1. So it is set up with the Linksys IP of 10.0.0.254 and the default gateway of 10.0.0.1.

My questions are:

1. What are the specific, exact settings supposed to be on my screenshot attached?
    2. What do I use to logon directly to the 2ndary router (AP) after all changes?

I have seen the tutorial at this link as well as others:
    http://m.wikihow.com/Convert-Linksys-WRT54G-to-Be-an-Access-Point

Under Static IP, should Internet IP address be: 10.0.0.254?
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0?
    Gateway: 10.0.0.1?
    Static DNS: 0.0.0.0 for all of them?

Thank You!

The primary router and its wireless network work great.

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reset the Linksys to factory defaults and start over ...

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected! [TerryNet Note: assume that all routers made in the last five or six years or more have auto-sensing ports.]

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

3. Teletec

Teletec Thread Starter

I've gone through this procedure. My 2nd router screen Basic Setup has Internet Setup settings and Network Setup settings. When I put all the settings IPs at 10.0.0.x I could not log back into router. NOW I've gone back to Internet setup (see thumbnail photo) and entered the Internet IP address as 10.0.0.254 and Gateway of 10.0.0.1. Then I entered under Network Setup just below that the "Local IP Address" of 192.168.1.1. It all "appears" to work now. Questions:
    1. Is that possible? How can it say local IP address on the 192 network and the first router is pointing everything to 10.0.0.254? Maybe I'm not really getting wireless internet from the 2nd router?

2. How do I confirm which router I'm getting my wireless network from? They have same SSID but different channels. Can I determine that from my basic computer (Windows 7) or Ipad 2?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You said in your thread title and first sentence that you wanted to use the Linksys as a wireless access point. The recipe I posted is for connecting and installing it as a (ethernet switch plus) wireless access point.

But, it sounds like you are using it as a router, daisy-chaining it to the first router.

If you are daisy-chaining the routers just look at the device's IP to see which router assigned it. If you have everything on the same LAN by using the Linksys as an access point you can use something like the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector to determine the channel of the wireless network to which the Windows computer is connected. Not sure what, if anything, is available for iOS.

5. Teletec

Teletec Thread Starter

I'm using it as a wireless access point not a router. It has the static IP assigned and DHCP disabled per the AP procedure. I will check the Xirrus and post the result.

6. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    May be; but not necessary. :) The other firmware is needed to use it as Wireless Bridge (AP Client) or Repeater (Range Extender).

8. Teletec

Teletec Thread Starter

I had the DD-WRT and after being unable to resolve, I went back to the Linksys firmware. Anyway, it is working fine now. I used the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, and I'm definitely on the Linksys AP.

After setting it up as the AP, I'm still unable to get back to the Linksys configuration screen to change settings or password. It just times out. Everything is working fine now, but its impossible to change any settings without a complete reset of the Linksys router. Shouldn't I be able to get back to this screen?

I can get to the Comcast router from an ethernet cable into the AP (10.0.01). When I use 10.0.0.254 or anything else, it just times our or fails immediately. Is that just the way it is, and is that a software bug or something more obvious? As a reminder, I set the Linksys settings to have the Internet IP address as 10.0.0.254 and Gateway of 10.0.0.1. Then I entered under Network Setup just below that the "Local IP Address" of 192.168.1.1. That was the only way the thing would save the settings and start working.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The LAN IP should have been 10.0.0.something. Making it 192.168.1.1 means to access you have to connect to it and set a static IP of 192.168.1.something to your device.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1137167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice