[Solved] Secondnary IDE conrtoller (dual fifo) Properties

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

WaRe

History of Problem:

I recently installed Windows 2000 and it caused many problems hardware wise and software. The hardware problems were it burned out my A: and or wouldnt regocnize it and it will not recognize my CD Burner. I also had software conflicts. So i Unistalled Windows 2000 and installed windows 98 first edition.

Now i had to change my a: to a new one because windows still wouldnt recognize it. But my CD Burner same thing. I get an Error,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondnary IDE conrtoller (dual fifo) Properties - is the title.

This device is either not present, not working, or does not have all the drivers installed [code 10]

try upgrading device dricver for this device

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The CD Burner part is the problem i need help with. I have tried switching my regular CD Rom which Works and the IDE cable for the CD Burner works, So i know the IDE Cable works.

That error is in the Device manager in control panel under system with the Exclamtion. I have tried to reinstalle the drivers from the CD Rom (windows 98 cd), the Original Drivers of the Burner and off the Internet and each time it says th best drivers for this is allready installed. So i got no idea other then it burning out some how but i know it worked before i treid to install windows 2000.

IF this is confusing let me know maybee i can try and simplfy it some how.

Thanks for any help any one gives. :)

Dennis

Boot to Safe Mode and go into Device Manager.
REmove all instances of the CD.
Also, expand the Hard Disk Controllers Branch and remove the Parent Device. You need to remove the Secondary controller, but if you trym you'll get a message that you need to remove the parent Device. You may have duplicates or not.
Remove them all.

Now go and have a look in the registry for these entries:
NOIDE NO_IDE BADIDE BAD_IDE
If you find one of these entries, delete it.

To search the registry, go to Start>Run and type regedit. Press enter. go to the toolbar Edit>find Type in the first entry. Keep searching.

Restart into windows and see if they will be reinstalled.

WaRe

Nope, i couldnt remove the Secondary IDE nor the Primary. It tells me i can tunless i remove Ali Bus master controller. So i removed everything in Hardisk controllers. Then restarted and it found every thing. But nothing has changed.

One question, When i was in Safe mode and i opened up My Computer it saw 2 cd roms, Both had the same name of 48X CD Rom and not 48 X Cd Rom and MY Burner one. But does that mean it can see it? Not sure though.

But thanks for your help..

But nothign worked yet.

Dennis

Right. That's the parent I told you about. You have to remvoeteh Bus Controller to remove the individual Ide Controllers.

That means you had a Ghost. Did you remove both instances? If not, you should go back to Safe Mode and do that.

I think you need to test whether or not your Burner will work in DOS. I know you cannot burn in DOS. I am talking about testing the drive to see if it spins up and reads. Use a bootdisk and accept CD support. Put the Windows install CD in the Burner. At the A:\> change to the Drive. If it is normally F the drive will be G
So you need to type F: or G: etc. and press enter

That should bring you to a new prompt inside the Burner Drive.

Type setup Does it start? Don't run it. Cancel.

If it doesn't start in DOS, it's Hardware.

I would also go into the BIOS and see if it is recognized in there.

Did you say you moved the Drive? You could try moving it. Don't forget to reset the jumpers too.

WaRe

An Update:

I have tried the DOS thing and nothing. It brings me the prompt for Abort, Fail, Retry. But the other CD Rom works but not the Burner.
(Didnt Work)

I have tried the Other idea and it looks like that is the problem but when i get to the step 3/4 i lose my mouse because it says a message like usb and mouse or something. So that didnt work. (Didnt Work)

I am now trying to updat my AlI Drivers. But i will post in a few on the results of that.

Dennis

WaRe

Ok i downloaded my mother board Drivers and as a FYI i have Asus motherboard with ID=sting Aladdin5 -P5A-B-00 Bios.

They didnt work. So dont know any other ideas. Also when i put a CD in the Burner Drive and restart my computer seems to hang untill i take it out during a boot up.

Also as to clearify something i have My CD Rom and Burner on seperat IDE Cables. I have my Burner on the Secondary IDE Cable and my 48 X CD Rom on my Primary with my Hardrive. Now i tried to take my Secondary IDE (the burner one) and put it on the 48X CD Rom. Now it worked as far info being sent back and forth because i could access my 48X CD Rom. So i put it back how it was originaly, Burner on secondary IDE Cable an d48X CD Rom on Primary along wiht the Hardrive.

On a self note this only happend when i intalled windows 2000 and then my A:\ and Burner went A.W.O.L. on me. But Winodws 2000 is complely off.

By chance is their a Bios setting that may have been effective during a win 98 reinstall that is making it not detect?

Thanks again for any help. :)
Dennis

That's why I had you try it in DOS. If a Drive won't work there, it's a Hardware Problem. Either it's not hooked up correctly, jumpers set right, connected to the MOBO and Power Supply.
AND/OR
Have a look in the BIOS to see if it is detected. Set it to none. Not Auto.

What does Device Manager show? If after all that, and the other drive works in the same place and this one does not, I would have to say the drive is dead.

Maybe someone else will come along with more information.

WaRe

RollinRog, Just wondering but which set, Northbridge or South Bridge Chip sets? I am guessing the South bridge because IDE is checked but which one??

Dennis

WaRe

Woohooo!

That worked. The driver i donwloaded before didnt work but this. I am just curious why this happend? I have done several complete formats and whiped everythign with fdsik a bunch of times in the last 3 years and had no problem like this. But in any case i am happy. :)

Thanks every one for their help, especialy Rollin Rog

Dennnis

Dennis, I wish I could explain such mysteries. There were a couple of versions between the two sites and I had trouble figuring which was for you, not knowing your exact chip version. But since your motherboard numbers matched up with what was shown as covered here, figured you needed to try this one if you hadn't.

Anyway, great to have it work! :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online