1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Secure Erase failed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danhasmail, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danhasmail

danhasmail Thread Starter

Hi, I downloaded the latest OCZ bootup toolbox and upgraded the firmware to version 2.25 for my Vertex 3 Max iops and then shut down and ran the toolbox again. I then tried to secure erase the ssd in order to reinstall windows but get the message that secure erase failed, internal error. Can anyone help me with this???

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

No reason to secure erase if you are keeping the drive. The reinstallation of OS/drivers/software will overwrite the disk.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Actually there is a reason to secure erase a ssd. This is not the same thing as wiping a mech hd. When you do multiple installs, very heavy read/writes OR you have an os that does not support TRIM, the drive slows down or throttles itself. A secure erase removes the throttling and restores performance to the ssd.

Next I always use linux parted magic to secure erase ssd type drives. Give parted magic a try;
    http://partedmagic.com/doku.php
    It is also very useful for other drive tasks, ie file rescue, partitioning, etc.

4. replay

replay

contact OCZ and see what they have to say............ the vertex carry a 3 yr warranty

5. danhasmail

danhasmail Thread Starter

I was in a rush and there was only 1 suggestion, so I followed
    Oddba11
    suggestion and just reinstalled with the windows 7 disk Windows 7 does have trim so I hope everything will be alright. All my programs are reloaded now and everything seems to be okay.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1108320