1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Secure my wireless network with a filter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Renamed&Closed5, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Renamed&Closed5

Renamed&Closed5 Account Closed Thread Starter

Hello,
    In my building there are 2 wireless access points connected directly via switch into the router.
    So the problem is i dont want to set a password for the wireless but i want to be able to filter all computers that are connected wireless to my internet because many of them are mass-downloading torrents movies etc. and it slows the internet massively. What do i need to do to make it like a filter , which would be like a ISA server or something can anyone assist me on this?

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Ge the instructions for your router and look up MAC (hardware address) filtering. Keep in mind, this is kind of easy to bypass by advanced users (using MAC spoofing), but normal users wouldn't know this.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Not securing your wireless is reckless and irresponsible. If you are the owner of the Internet Connection I am not going to feel sorry for you when the police coming knocking on your door with an RIAA/MPAA Lawyer. Or whomever is the enforcing body of your media content.

4. Renamed&Closed5

Actually thats what im trying to do. In fact i would like to setup a PC which will be used like a filter does anyone of you know how can i setup a linux firewall computer or server or something like that step by step ebcause i have no idea how do i start with?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are going to set up your own server starting from "no idea" I suggest Ubuntu, as it's documentation is probably among the best available. I have only a little experience with Ubuntu desktop.

6. Renamed&Closed5

Ubuntu alright. But how will it llok like shout it be a server or any idea where can i get support on how to configure the filtering system?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    We have no clue how much time, effort or money you plan to expend for the initial setup nor for the ongoing maintenance.

The only clue we have about the "filtering" that you want to do is that apparently MAC Address filtering is not included.

The only things I know about the Ubuntu server are that it is free for the download and that if I were going to install a server I would start by reading the documentation to which I linked.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Setting up a filtering system doesn't secure your Wireless and your local network.

What happened to the suggestions we gave you in your previous thread.
    http://forums.techguy.org/networking/1026976-tryin-take-rid-people.html

10. Renamed&Closed5

thanks alot people

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice