1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: secure passwords-how critical?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by pcguy9441, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

We all know about how to make a very secure password. Mix in upper case, lower case, numbers, special chars, etc. This is great for the password to your bank's web site or discount broker app, but what about the basic Windows login p/w?

Is it possible for Vlad in St Petersburg to crack my 20 char complex mixed ascii alpa-numeric p/w programatically with his p/w cracker tool via the net as opposed to actually sitting in my chair at my keyboard? If it can't be cracked remotely, then I'm safe with a simple 7-8 char alpha p/w. Right or wrong? If I'm wrong, how could someone login remotely?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

There are exploit tools which can open up a command prompt to your machine. They don't have to login, they just get access to what account that happens to be running.

In this article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Accounts_Manager

They mentioned accessing the SAM database from your RAM.

Usually after gaining initial entry, they would try to go for the System account or admin accounts. There are, again, exploits that do this. So keep your system patched.

All that seems to make passwords less important. But one has to remember that physical security is part of security. Your office cleaner that comes in at night has all night to play with your login.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice