1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Secure Sites

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phizix, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phizix

phizix Thread Starter

Hi I have a dell inspiron 5160 that recently had a new cpu installed into it. The original cpu was a 3.06ghz but i was able to get a 2.6 for cheap so i put that in. After installing the cpu I cannot access any secure site using internet explorer(hotmail, banking, facebook, etc). I am not sure where to look to find a solution. I tried installing google chrome and I was able to login to a secure site. Whats going on with explorer? After putting in the new cpu should I have done a reinstall of windows or is there some kind of driver i need to update? The computer seems to be working fine otherwise.. thank you for any assistance

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Welcome to TSG!!

Not quite sure why you'd want to downgrade your CPU in the first place, but it should have absolutely no affect on IE. There are no real drivers required (beyond the HAL, but that shouldn't change). What version of IE are you using? And, short of compatibility reason, why aren't you using a more secure browser in the first place? I use Firefox for everything I can. There are a very few Web sites that actually require IE.

3. phizix

phizix Thread Starter

Well I downgraded cause I basically got the cpu for free and the other one burned out and I didnt think it would make any difference with drivers and so on. But ya thats basically what happened. Replaced cpu-> can no longer log into websites.. :( As far as chrome goes.. I just wanted to see if I could use it to login to a site using another browser. Thats the problem im having as soon as i try to login to any website i get the error page "Diagnose Connection Problems" and the page cannot be displayed yadda yadda,.. very strange,.. in my mind the two should be unrelated but I just need some help .. maybe a point in the right direction as to where I might look to find the root cause.

4. phizix

phizix Thread Starter

ya just put firefox on the computer and its also allowing me to use facebook and email.. so wtf is internet explorers problem?

5. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    What version of IE are you using?

6. phizix

phizix Thread Starter

lol.. says 6.0.29... but i installed sp3? I thot sp3 would have automatically upgraded the browser.. ok ill try updating that.. thx

7. phizix

phizix Thread Starter

ok here we go,.. i just tried to run the ie installer and i get an error msg ..

"Setup could not verify the integrity of the files needed for installation. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer."

So what is this service and how do I enable it?

8. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
  9. phizix

phizix Thread Starter

Thanks allot for your help Gr3iz. I actually found one of those links shortly after discovering what was causing the error. This machine I was having the issues with was a friends so I guess my understanding of the problem was incorrect. There musta been something else to trigger this problem other then the simple cpu switch. I guess when I went from service pack 2 -> 3 something went amiss in the catroot folder. Anyhoo its all working again and the galaxy is at peace.. ;) thx again

10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Excellent! Glad to hear it! You may mark the thread as "Solved", if you are satisfied.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice