1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Securing causes problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Boothbay, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boothbay

Boothbay Account Closed Thread Starter

My wireless connection is unsecured, which makes me nervous. The manual tells me that i could change the default password which are 4 characters in configuring it. So when i get to the area to enter new password, there are shown 3 entry boxes...the top one already shows 14 characters of which i know nothing about, and the two below are empty...one is to enter the new pw and the second to confirm it. So I do enter a new one and etc. and after applying the change, the old default entry appears...with no instructions, so i assumed it wants me to enter the new password, which i do, and then my network info along with all the nearby entrys in my neighborhood is shown as secured, but the word 'automatic' is shown above it but its not getting full strength. I high lite it and click on the connect button...it goes on and on but does nothing and am booted out of the internet. I have XP SP3 and the router is attached to my cable modem and its generic..no model number and etc..but i do have the cd for it, that instructed me how to do that.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can we perhaps see some screen shots

make and exact model of the wireless router

the XP machine may need a driver update to support the WPA Security protocol
    whats the exact make and model of the PC

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

3. Boothbay

Thanks, which active window are you asking about the one that shows where to enter the new passwords? If that is what your asking for, i am sort of reluctant in doing so for now cause finally I got through my network connection, albeit it has limited or no connection and shows in the task bar a yellow exclamation point, informing me of it...and yet i am able to respond here . My desktop is ABS 3400 and XP SP3

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so you are connected to the internet and working

5. Boothbay

For now yes, but obviously i have to do some more tweaking..and i do not really know where to start...i am not satisfied with limited connection and unsecured. Just as i got your post i was starting to check out my router setup again.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i think we need a more detailed explanation in order to assist
    i'm confused as to where you are now

make and model of the router

ipconfig /all post and a xirrus screen shot may help , also an screen shot of the " limited connection and unsecured" indication

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/00475A/XirrusWiFiInspectorSetup.1.2.0.exe

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector/xirruswifiinspectorguide1-2-0.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/
    ipconfig /all
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
    Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

7. Boothbay

I uploaded the ipconfig file I am nervous sending a shot of my nearby connections including mine is it safe here?

Attached Files:

8. Boothbay

Here is the other one showing limited connection

Attached Files:

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Safe for what? Those of us within about 300 feet (up to 1400 feet for 'N') of your location can see the same networks you do. Those of us farther away cannot detect those networks so can't do anything (bad or good) about or to them.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your connected by Ethernet cable - NOT wireless - I think there is some confusion through the post now

11. Boothbay

The ip is showing both of my network connections the wired one is first and the last one is the wireless...at that time neither one has been disabled. Those readings of the exclamation point icon is from my wireless connection.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    but it does not appear you have connected with the wireless

what firewall do you have or ever had on the PC

can we see the xirrus screen shot

13. Boothbay

Your right it does not show on my wireless gateway address i keep getting a message when i try to use my wireless that it cannot find my default gateway address, but my wired network does...isn't it the same address 192.168.X.X ? what is a xirrus screen look like?

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    see my post #6 above for how to install and post a screen shot here for xirrus

15. Boothbay

Its ABS

Attached Files:

• net.jpg
      net.jpg
      File size:
      231.9 KB
      Views:
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!