Solved: Securing Wireless Network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nubuilder

I will be getting a D-Link DWL-922 Wireless Network Starter Kit. It comes with the DWL-G122 USB adapter and DI-524 wireless router.

My question is:
How do I make sure no one else outside my home can access my computers/internet?

I am running Win XP Pro and Win 2000 Pro.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Since these products offer WPA encryption, that's all you'll be needing. I'd start with no encryption to get the link working, then enable the WPA encryption on each end. Use a long and random key consisting of numbers and letters at least 20 characters long. You'll be very well protected.

I'd also suggest you change the router's login password to a unique one, and it can't hurt to change the SSID name to a unique one too, although that won't really increase security if you have WPA properly enabled.

Forget about all the other suggested "security" measures like SSID hiding, MAC filtering, disabling DHCP, etc. All these things do is make it harder for you to use your network.

nubuilder

Could you tell me how to navigate to the WPA encryption and SSID name? (remember that I am using D-Link; I don't even know what software it comes with)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need no software to configure the router, though you must connect directly with a cable for the configuration. I don't have that model of router, but the quick setup instructions with most D-Link routers is pretty decent. I suggest you wait until you actually have it, and we'll help you if you run across any issues during the installation.

Note that my comment about no software doesn't apply to the USB connected wireless adapter, that will require the D-Link drivers.

I think if that you type 192.168.0.1 into your address bar that might take you to your router. Try "admin" as the user name and typing "password" into the password field. If that doesn't work try "admin" and don't put in a password.

nubuilder

I know the USB adapter has to have drivers.

I should be able to start setup on the 26th.

I will post again once I have it hooked up and working.

Merry Christmas:)

Although you don't know the version of the router or adaptor yet, that is in your D-Link DWL-922 Wireless Network Starter Kit, you can download the product maunals, to be reviewing them if you want to get a ideal of how to access the router etc..

Since the manuals will be basicly the same reguardless of the version, this is the DWL-G122_revD and the DI-524_revE product manuals but recommend you redownload the correct manual for your versions once you actually get your kit and determine the correct versions.

==========================================================

You may want to bookmark this link http://support.dlink.com/products/ for later.

Later if you need to under Wireless > Xtreme G 802.11g find and click on DWL-G122 and under Broadband > Routers click on DI-524 to find any downloads for your products.

Precaution Note: Do not download any firmware or drivers at present. There are different versions of this adaptor and router. You will need to check for the right version when you get the D-Link DWL-922 Wireless Network Starter Kit, before you download any frimware or drivers.

TerryNet

Terry
I think that the "easy setup" wizard for the DI-524 is very confusing, so suggest that you do the "manual" setup. Linskyjack info is correct--default password is null.

The router will work "out of the box" (default factory settings) if you have cable or a DSL, such as SBC around Chicago, that uses dynamic IP addresses.

nubuilder

I now have the wireless router and USB adapter working perfectly.

In the beginning, anyone could have logged onto my network. I have made it secure.

The CD took me to "http://192.168.0.1/h_wizard.html" which is my network code and the home page of the wizzard. I clicked the "Run Wizzard" button and it took me through all the steps (setting usernames, logins, passwords, SSID setup, etc.) for setting it up securely.

I would like to thank you guys for your hints and advice.

I mark this as SOLVED and the network as SECURE!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online