1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Security Alert when starting computer

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Confuzified, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Confuzified

Confuzified Thread Starter

I turned my laptop on this morning, and updated Avira. I noticed once Avira closed that I had a security alert pop-up that said

"You are about to view pages over a secure connection.
    Any information you exchange with this site cannot be viewed by anyone else on the web"

It then had a box to check so that the warning would not be shown anymore, a yes button and a more information button.

I clicked the information button and it just pops up with the Windows Help and Support page - Security and Privacy features in Internet Explorer.

I use FireFox and do not use IE at all.

I restarted my computer, thinking it had something to do with Avira, but it still popped back up and I dont know why.

2. domasmak

domasmak

Do you know what the URL is that it is trying to take you to? Does it just pop up when you boot your machine or does it pop up randomly?

3. Confuzified

I dont know what the URL is at all. It has either the OK button (not a yes button like I thought), or the More Info button. I clicked more info thinking it would at least tell me what site/program or give me some details, but it just showed the Windows Help and Support Page.

It popped up when my computer was started. I didnt notice it the first time, since I automatically update my Avira before doing anything, but once that closed, it was there. I have just turned my laptop back on after being away for a couple of hours, and it is on the screen again.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try the following:

Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Security.

Uncheck the "Warn if changing between secure and not secure mode" box.

5. Confuzified

Thank you. I did that, and it seemed to have worked. What a simple solution.

Is there a reason why it just started popping up all of a sudden, especially since I dont use IE at all?

6. Phantom010

It might have been checked a long time ago and Avira started triggering the Security Alert while trying to update at Startup. Just a wild guess...

7. Confuzified

Sounds like a good guess. Thank you for your help.

8. Phantom010

You're welcome!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975873