1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: security settings??

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Navale, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Navale

Navale Thread Starter

OK....
    no error message just clicked on it and nothing happens at all.

i am running ie9 without addons now and uninstalled spywareguard

went back to see if i could dl that hosts file - same error message!

I have spywareblaster already and will follow your advice and not dl the hosts file if i don't need it.

However funny stuff is going on e.g. the ie-spyad website that is in the same general security sticky will not open at all, goes to the diagnose connection page after a while - can you open it?

how is my HJT log?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I can't open that IE-SPYAD website either. The link looks invalid. That thread is old anyway and probably needs to be updated. Try the following link instead:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/using-ie-spyad-to-enhance-your-privacy/

IE-SPYAD is outdated anyway. Again, SpywareBlaster will basically do the same thing, better.

There's nothing special in your HijackThis log. However, I thought, from your computer specs, that you had XP. HijackThis isn't fully compatible with Windows 7-8 and Vista, especially not with the 64-bit versions.

McAfee might still be the culprit here. It may not be completely disabled and seeing the MVPS Hosts file as a threat. It's a false positive, of course, but nonetheless, it will block that download.

If you wish, to really rule out McAfee, you can uninstall it and then run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool.

3. Navale

Navale Thread Starter

you mean remove mcafee for good? won't that leave me vulnerable? replace it with something else?

OK thanks for that advice i will just leave spywareblaster in place of all that other stuff.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Not necessarily for good. At least to test the download. However, McAfee is not recommended here on TSG. McAfee as always been heavily bloated.

If you want something free, Microsoft Security Essentials is what we recommended the most. There's also Avira and Avast.

If you don't mind paying a little, ESET has my vote.

5. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice