Solved: Security software for Windows Server 2012 Standard?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ageofknowledge

We are purchasing a new server with Windows Server 2012 standard as the operating system. What anti-virus anti-malware security software choices do we have?

Thank you.

Here is a table that may be of interest to you.
People may argue, but I think if you use your server for its intended purposes and manage it responsibly, antivirus software is not that critical. Even if you have it, doesn't mean you are 100% safe.
Keep you server patched, don't use it as a workstation, limit and control access to it, educate employees on (at least) basics of cyber security and enforce your company's security policies.

But of course all major vendors would have a solution if you positively need to install an AV.

valis

i would no more run a server sans AV than I would jump out of an airplane sans chute.....AV on a server is one of those things that absolutely proves the 'better to have and not need' credo.....I recall when conficker hit a few years back, servers were dropping like flies.......

but for a server, I'd go something enterprise; probably Symantec.

ageofknowledge

It turns out that both Microsoft AND Symantec make very affordable security software for Windows server.

One license of Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition2013 for a file server is $30.00 per year.

http://buy.symantec.com/estore/mf/homePage?rdid=c4258c03-0d14-498c-b234-e0b99d96421e1367599828616#

EndpointProtection Small Business Edition 2013 is antivirus/antispyware, firewall, intrusion prevention and generic exploitblocking. It supports servers, workstations, and network machines. The SmallBusiness Edition also allows you to choose whether you utilize on-premisemanagement or management through the cloud.

valis

yup.....what's nice about that is that if something DOES get in, you are covered by Symantec; they will take the heat. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online