1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Seeminly dumb question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by samdrake, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. samdrake

samdrake Thread Starter

I have installed a new Asus RT N56U router and it is working OK (actually it is working great) but I am in a learning curve about how to configure it for secure netwwork. The immediate problem is, --- I have probed every document Asus has on this router and can not find how you change the username. I found the place in the user interface to create and/or change the logon passwrd but nowhere can I find a way to change the user name.

The other thing that concerns me is when I enter the ip address in my browser (ie9) and the logon screen comes up requesting the username and password, it contains a warning -- " warning :This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner(basic authentication with out a secure connection)"

The default username and password are admin and admin respectively. My username is still admin and I want to change it to something unique and hard to crack.

I have two computers, a networked printer and a sony blu-ray player connected in a home group, not workgroup, at the present time with the radio turned off. Need to get the laptop connected wireless but I dont want to turn the radio on until I understand the security aspects a bit better. One recommendation I read about is to change the default username to something hard to quess like a good password, hence my efforts to change the username.

So two questions: how to change username and what is that worning all about?

I am running win 7 64 bit

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Some routers do not allow changing the default administration user name. Yours' may be one of them. Just make sure you use a hard to crack password that you will not forget.

The warning has to do with the browser attempting to use a non-secured HTTP connection to the router instead of a secured HTTPS connection. Since you should be able to trust the connection to your own router, you can ignore the warning in this case.

The administration user name and password should have nothing to do with the wireless security. You should enable some form of WPA encryption (like WPA-PSK) if all of the wireless devices you plan to connect to the router support it.
    The SSID name should be something unique that you can easily recognize but would be difficult for someone else to match up as the router belonging to you (first or last name or digits in street address, etc.). The WPA key should be as long as possible and should not be something that a hacker could easily guess.

EDIT: Forgetting my manners. Hi samdrake, and welcome to TSG.

3. samdrake

samdrake Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Apparently I cannot change the username on this one. I wasted too much time trying to chase it down but just wanted to get thoroughly familiar with the user interface. Your explanation makes me wonder why the warning in the first place but I suppose some other type of connection could not be assumed trustworthy.

Also I was getting the idea that wireless security was a whole nother animal but wondered if anyone can get at the user interface wirelessly. I will check that out as soon as I turn on the radio.
    I have mine configured to WPA2-Personal with WPA encryption set to AES. I have no idea of the relative strengths of the various schemes available. Just used what I thought was the latest assuming it would be the better but the word "personal" drew questions. So I will be reading up on encryption methods. I need a good secure setup since the neighbor hood is loaded with techies and geeks. Highest percapita of scientist and engineers in the whole USA they say, Huntsville, AL

It is great to know of this site, and thanks again for the welcome.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    WPA2-PSK AES is the strongest encryption, although in practice WPA-PSK TKIP is still uncracked (with a strong passphrase). "Personal" is sometimes used in place of "PSK."

Some routers allow you to disallow router login via wireless (I would find that inconvenient). It's a good idea to disallow remote (via the internet) login unless you need to use that capability.

5. samdrake

samdrake Thread Starter

Thanks Terrynet. I am afraid it is true that you can't change the username on this router. Asus support is a joke of smoke and mirrors. Phone calls, chat session all bring idiotic responses. Our engineers are busy etc. They never get around to following up and answering. The manual has nothing.

I guess the idea of changing the username is to provide some kind of double deep password protection which is not needed if you use a strong enough password. Your response encourages me to move on.

6. samdrake

samdrake Thread Starter

I am going to disallow wireless accessz to the router and also remote access but just know how to turn them on quickly when I need it. To easy to forget about a door open somewhere. Just close them all and open the one I need when I need it. I know that can be not worthwhile at some point.

I made a mistake on this router when I first hooked it up thinking I had turned off the radio until I could get around to setting up encryption. To my surprise a few days later I learned that you have to click the apply button as you apply the radio dot on each tab for the two different radios. Since I did not click the apply button on the first tab it reverted to "on" when I tabbed to the other radio. I clicked apply on the second one and logged out thinking I had turned off wireless.

I next want to delve into the area of open ports. Seems there may be some surprises there.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!