1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Selective but Horrible Mouse Cursor Issues after Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ZARA7HUS7RA, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ZARA7HUS7RA

ZARA7HUS7RA Thread Starter

Gateway LX6810-01. Attached a DXDIAG file.

It would take a while to bring us up to speed as to why, but the short version is this unit has GPU overheating issues stock. They are well documented on Gateway forums. My particular fix for the issue, after getting a new BIOS flash that made the CPU fan roar (no case fan) and being unsatisfied with the stock GT120 graphics card still banging 100-102C, was an expensive and fun version... instead of trying to throw a couple of fans on the existing 400w power supply that was already running roughly a 350w profile (based on what I read about the model, 8GB ram and other OEM peps like a media IR center, 15 card reader etc), I got a new PSU and an external exhaust GeForce.

Never fitted a new PSU before, and I know very little about electrical... I can swap cards but the wiring was everywhere inside this unit and intimidated me. Got a buddy to throw the PSU in for me and we installed the video card while we were at it. The PSU is an 850w Thermaltake Black Widow, the most powerful off the shelf at BestBuy... the new video card is a GTX 460.

The upgrade appears to have went smooth. Booted back up first try, installed video drivers from the disk, updated the drivers from the nVidia site. And overall the thermal profile is a lot better. The Thermaltake pulls air from the center of the case due to a large fan on the bottom of it rather than at the back, pulling air up from over the motherboard and forcing it out the back. The GTX installed in the largest PCIe at the bottom of the motherboard and case, pulls air up and blows it out the back. We also removed the modem right below it to give it some breathing room. My friend who helped me install recommended we leave the extra 80mm and 120mm fans I bought off as long as it continues working well, since the CPU fan pulls air to the center of the motherboard and blows it directly out a vent in the side of the case through a funnel... said it would be good to leave the vents to breathe naturally and not build vaccum pockets to fix what isn't broken. And I'm satisfied with the temperature returns. Whereas the old GT120 was returning temperatures of 72C idle and 95-102C while playing The Sims 3, the new GeForce is a more powerful card and returns 39C idle, and hasn't went over 85C under the heaviest loads I can put on it (which is again, the Sims 3... I've read that this game is odd in that it is not as demanding as many others on GPUs and processors, yet it heats up GPUs more intensely than most apps). Core 2 of the quads runs a little warmer than it used to sometimes, but is still under standard coming in at around 50C.

HERE'S THE ISSUE. I noticed that sometimes under streaming video the mouse lags or "stutters" a little. This is a pretty fast system, and the only time that used to happen was when I was wielding crazy amounts of memory load on the CPUs. But, worse, when I launch the Sims 3, this mouse stutter starts after about 2-5 minutes of play and becomes progressively worse until the game is no longer playable. First weird thing is, alt-tabbing to the desktop and the cursor moves fine, it looks at me like "What?" with no jagging, until I alt-tab back into The Sims 3. Second weird thing is, Civ V seems to play fine. The only other games I run are Civ IV and Civ V normally, but I'm planning on loading Fallout New Vegas and Oblivion later to see if they have issues as well. To sort of test it, I've loaded CS5 and fired up Photoshop and Dreamweaver, then Corel, doubled up that load with a few browser windows, ran a .flv on VLC media player with music playing on Winamp in the background... no problems, no mouse stutter, no nothing. Only time I see it is on The Sims 3 and occasionally a little on streaming video.

HERE'S WHAT I'VE DONE. I uninstalled and reinstalled my mouse driver using the software for it, even though I liked running it just as an unidentified "compliant" before because it's a MS mouse and their software inevitably screws with any game that you use the mouse wheel for if it doesn't have its own software for reassigning functions. I've uninstalled the stock GTX 460 video drivers and there were no other video drivers to uninstall after the upgrade and driver install (even using a "show hidden value" trick I found on a Win 7 site to find drivers that were available for devices no longer connected), both using the device manager and within Programs--->uninstall (actually wiped out my networking drivers getting rid of everything nVidia while doing that and gave myself a heart attack briefly when it disconnected from the internet; thankfully had already downloaded the drivers), and reinstalled the latest driver package direct for the card from nVidia's website. I used the custom function in that install to do a "clean install" supposedly removing any previous profiles. I've downloaded nVidia's associated System Tools and I can't see anything there; as for nVidia's control panel, PhysX and every function I can find is set to the same standards I had previously, roughly meaning "let the application decide how to manage." I've made sure I'm loaded with the latest DirectX, 11. I've checked my core loads and temps when it gets loaded down, no significant issues. My BIOS has no options for picking video drivers, so I assume Win 7 Pro 64 is handling it according to the drivers I've uninstalled and reinstalled; I've also checked my temps in BIOS as well as the voltages, and although I don't understand the voltages or how the motherboard deals with them, in the BIOS they are coming in slightly above the 3v, 5v, 12v etc values... not returning any errors (I think they'd pop errors if there were issues with the PSU, wouldn't they?). I've went through repeated reboots and made sure Windows was updated, rolled through the device manager and made sure all drivers are updated insofar as it is able to find them. My BIOS is the latest and was before we did the upgrade. For anybody familiar with the Sims 3, trying to drill down specifically on it possibly being the software, I unloaded all mods and custom content, cleared out the cache and ran a new clean neighborhood. I read something about Vsync issues with framerate in relation to cursor stutter for the GTX 460 and, considering TS3 has no Vsync, tied the resolution to 60 refresh to make sure it was matching up to my monitor just in case the new card is trying to run a faster framerate, even though that makes no god**** sense. No fixes.

I'm at a dead end for my level of expertise. nVidia tech support hasn't responded. If it were just the Sims 3 I don't understand why the cursor would lag on streaming video sometimes; if it were mouse drivers I don't understand why it would do it under that same limited spectrum. I assume it has something to do with DX11, but is there something I'm missing? Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you install a video card, there is no need to install multiple drivers. You are asking for a problem doing this. Here is how to properly install a new video card.

1 With the old card still installed, uninstall ALL software related to the card ie drivers and any other software.
    2 Shutdown and pull out the card. Install the new card.
    3 Pw ON and cancel any found new hardware wiz. Download and install the driver from the nvidia site. DO NOT use the driver on the support CD. It is most likely quite old.
    4 Reboot when prompted.

3. ZARA7HUS7RA

ZARA7HUS7RA Thread Starter

Thanks crjdriver, though I don't think that was my problem. I think I miscommunicated there... I installed factory driver from the video card to make sure there wasn't any other suite control software for the nVidia control panel, then went to the nVidia site and downloaded the single latest, 260.99. I could possibly have caused this problem by not uninstalling the old drivers before pulling the old card (my friend and I bitched at each other for forgetting to do this but we got carried away after we got the PSU in), but otherwise my steps have been pretty sharp.

I've read a lot about having to use third party apps to get rid of remnants of older drivers, but I'm wondering if this is not an issue with older operating systems or older nVidia drivers that just doesn't apply here. I changed variables in device manager to list drivers that are in the system for equipment that is no longer there, and the GTX was still the only display driver available. Nonplussed, I nevertheless removed 260.99 and every nVidia driver and software I could find, and reinstalled only the latest drivers. Still didn't fix the problem. I considered downloading a driver cleaner and rebooting safe mode, but nVidia support assured me that wasn't necessary, and I find it hard to believe that WOULD be necessary... we're several generations along in both Windows and video driver architecture, nVidia's driver install has a "clean install" option to remove previous drivers and, I've never had anything BUT nVidia drivers.

What DID fix the problem was somewhere in the tinkering of these three: 1) letting a Fallout: New Vegas reinstallation install DirectX on my system; 2) reinstalling DX11 on my system from Windows (it was listed as DX11 already but, got suspicious); 3) reinstalling the latest nForce chipset drivers for my 720i. Problem solved.

Thank you, however. :)

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

At least it works now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice