1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Semi-locked out of my computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jxbomba, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jxbomba

jxbomba Thread Starter

I had to create a new user profile on my laptop for an internship since the company's systems required a bunch of specific settings adjustments. I finished the internship and tried to delete the work profile.

I'm not sure what happened, but now the work profile is the only one I can log on to. I can't access "User Accounts" in the control panel because the work profile doesn't have admin status (although I'm pretty sure it should because the setup instructions that the IT people at work sent required that I designate the account for Admin status).

I can't log on to "Administrator" either. I think the account doesn't exist anymore because a blank password doesn't work and I defenitely did not set a password for that account.

I think I'm stuck without having Admin access to my computer. My laptop has a reformatting feature and I can easily do that but I'll lose all my files. I can't get my music or personal documents on to any removable storage because they were both in the My Documents folder of my orignal user account. In my work profile, I tried going into My Computer -> C:\ -> Documents and Settings but the folders belonging to the orignal user account and Administrator are inaccessible (Access Denied).

Am I stuck forever? Is there no way to recover my music and docs? Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. a9tt3r

a9tt3r

Would you be able to tell me exactly what you did before you got into this mess? If so, i can recognise any faults and can help you fix this mess.

Thankyou :D

3. jxbomba

jxbomba Thread Starter

I went into User Accounts under Control Panel and deleted them. I realize this is vague but I have no way of getting back into User Accounts to be more desriptive since the work profile doesn't have Admin status. I tried to recreate it on my desktop PC but it doesn't look the same. This is possibly because the desktop runs XP home and the laptop runs XP professional, or because I had to install .NET on the laptop for work (although, I'm not exactly sure what .NET is). I know this is an especially hard problem to fix remotely since I can't give precise details. Thanks for your help.

4. jxbomba

jxbomba Thread Starter

BUMP because I have a lot of stuff I can't afford to lose. I'll only bump once cause I don't want to be annoying. Thanks.

5. game freak

game freak

sounds as though you need to actually hack windows to get another user then. just a compete guess. are you able to repair the windows copy with a disk. i belive that the disk can take off users or delete them
    i am not sure but the first option sounded better to me

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The built in Administrator account always exists, but you have to get there through a Safe Mode boot.

You will be prompted for a password. If none was ever made, just hitting enter should get you in.

Folks creating passwords should also create a password recovery disk.

7. subnet_rx

subnet_rx

There's a DOS program floating around that will reset your administrator password.

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

9. jxbomba

jxbomba Thread Starter

The safe-mode boot worked. Thanks so much for all your help.

10. game freak

game freak

you can get into the admin acount at the normal login screen by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice