1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sending Alot Of Music in Email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by texastoy4her, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. texastoy4her

texastoy4her Thread Starter

Hi All,

Im not quite sure if this is the correct forum but here goes.

I recently had to replace my hard drive and before I did, I transfered all my music files to my wifes laptop via our homenetwork.

Well now I have having trouble setting up the network to share files. Thats fine I can live with that.

The problem I am having now is, how can I get my music back on my computer?

When I put it all on my wife's laptop I just created my own folder. So I thought maybe I could right click on the folder>click compress>and then send the compressed folder via email.

Got an error saying not enough memory.

Is there something else I need to do or another program I need to use?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi texastoy4her

How big is the folder?
    You may need to make several smaller files as your ISP may have a limit.
    Or use a CD-RW disk or a flash drive to transfer smaller files to your computer.

There is also the site www.yousendit.com where you can upload files up to 1 GB in size, though you may still need to break up the files into several folders.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

3. texastoy4her

Hi EaFielder,

The orginal folder size is 484 MB and the compressed folder is 476 MB. That does seem like that much of a difference for it to be compressed.

Yea I had thought about possibly doing that with smaller folders. Was trying to take a short cut and do it all at once lol.

With the site you gave, I would just upload from the laptop and then go to the desktop and download?

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Yes, send the compressed folder. No need to register, send the e-mail to yourself and an e-mail will be sent to you with a link to access the uploaded file.
    They keep files for 7 days then remove access to them.

5. texastoy4her

It looks like it will work but it is gonna take forever lol. I am on DSL but my speed is only 1.5 mbps..max.

SO i guess I am relagated to either breaking it up and sending smaller files or trying to figure out what is wrong with my homenetwork lol.

Thanks for the help

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Yes, it may take a few hours to upload.
    Downloading will be much faster.
    Set it up to upload while you are not using the computer. Overnight perhaps?

7. texastoy4her

May do that.

Thanks again.

8. texastoy4her

I tried doing as suggested, letting it run over night to uipload.

Guess it ran into a problem cause when I got up this morning I had a page can not be displayed message lol.

So somewhere along the way I lost connection.

I found out another way to do transfer them back to the desktop in the home network though.

Just copy and paste from the laptop into the shared docs folder for the desktop.

Thanks again for the help.

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Great! Thanks for letting us know. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/478068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice