1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sending Email - Goes to Outbox

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by prubin, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prubin

prubin Thread Starter

Re: Outlook Express 6
    Used to be when I create a new email message & click Send it goes out right away. Now when I create a new email message & click Send it goes to the Outbox, then I must go to Tools menu, click Send to get the message to transmit. When I reply to an email it goes right away.

Could this have anything to do with updates to my system? Or is this a separate issue? Do you have any suggestions?

Will appreciate your assistance! Thanks!

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Under Tools > Options, under the Send make sure that Send Messages Immediately is checked.

3. prubin

prubin Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply - all the boxes are checked.

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi prubin,

Move all messages out of the Sent Items folder to a new folder of your own creation.
    In the folder pane, click on the Sent Items to open the folder to view.
    Click File>Folder>Compact. Don't do anything until the compact is done.
    Now open the Outbox. Make sure it's empty.
    Click File>Folder>Compact. Again, don't do anything until it's finished compacting the folder.
    Try sending yourself a test message to see if the problem persists.
    T. :)

5. prubin

prubin Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! Think I found out what may be happening - and maybe it's been that way & I haven't noticed. When I create & send email it does go to the Outbox - temporarily - before it is sent. :)

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Yes. When you send a message, it will go to the Outbox first.
    If the "Send messages immediately" is checked in the Send Options, it will only stay in the Outbox long enough for it to send (depending on the size of the message and your upload speed, it can take a minute or be instantaneous).
    If that's not the case, then please follow my previous instructions. Let us know if it's okay.
    By the way, welcome to TSG.
    T. :)

7. prubin

prubin Thread Starter

Yes, it works fine! I believe there might have been a machine problem that caused it to hold an outgoing message in the Outbox until manually sent. I guess rebooting the machine took care of it. Really, I never noticed the Outbox being used as a buffer for outgoing messages before! :)
    Thanks for the help!
    Phil

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/770177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice