1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: sending photos by eMail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by gloriosky, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gloriosky

gloriosky Thread Starter

I have several programs enabling me to send photos by eMail but each end up in Outlook Express. I would like to send them as attachments, only, but Outlook sends them, not only as attachments but also as part of the text.
    The pictures that come through as text are waaay too large and take forever to up and download. I can't find help anywhere for this. Thanks

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

try zipping them first...it won't shrink the size... but it keeps OE from including them in the body of the message

buck

3. gloriosky

gloriosky Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I don't have WinZip and would rather not buy it. Any other ideas?

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

in my experience winzips trial version does not expire... ;)

5. Deke40

Deke40

Try FreeZip as it is free and you can download the encryption patch with it if you need privacy with your zipped files.

6. sekirt

sekirt

Are you saying that you think your programs are sending 2 separate photos per email? I don't believe your programs are doing that. OE6 normally will automatically display any attached photo when opened. That is not the same as embedding a photo in the message area. That is why zipping was suggested.

Ideal photo attachments, especially for dial-up email users, should be in the range of 30kb to 100kb. What size are the photo files that you say are too big? Right click on a typical photo to check the size. That photo should appear the same on your screen no matter how it is viewed. Whether in the text area or not.

You do understand that you can simply open OE and click create mail and then click the attach button on the toolbar and don't need any outside program to send photos with your emails? You can also choose to actually embed a photo in the text area by choosing Insert from the menu. There would be no attachment in that case, only the actual photo in the message area.

sekirt

7. gloriosky

gloriosky Thread Starter

My jpeg image is 2.01 Mb's. Doing as you suggest fills the screen. I just can't figure this out. The image is HUGE !

8. sekirt

sekirt

2 megs is huge. Even 1 meg is huge. If everyone you send to, has broadband, they might not complain. But sending/receiving something of that size with a dial-up, is almost torture. :D

I am going to assume these are pictures you took with a digital camera.
    1) There should be settings which will allow "smaller" pictures. Someone with a camera could offer much better advice in that area. There is also the Digital Photography & Imaging forum here at TSG with a lot of good advice.

http://forums.techguy.org/f60-s.html

2) Download donationware IrfanView (and plug-ins). You will be able to crop and resize photos to the size you want....and much more.

http://www.irfanview.com/

3) If you will click search on this page and type in resizing photos, you will have enough to read for an entire evening.

sekirt

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/309483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice