1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Separating one router from one VPN Firewall(router) on two computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by superDudeMan, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. superDudeMan

superDudeMan Thread Starter

First off, THANKS for your time - anyone who responds! And yes, I have searched and searched... and understand what I need to do mostly, but need some expert opinions.

We have a cable modem going to my wife's work Netgear ProSafe VPN Firewall which goes to her work computer and VOIP phone. The Netgear is basically a router and uses 192.168.5.#.

The problem is, I want to open some ports for our home computer and use wireless in our house - but cannot access her work router (not wireless) or have my wife understand anything I ask her to ask her IT people to do.

So, I have a Linksys wireless router that I want to connect to the modem FIRST -- so that I can control the wireless on that and open ports as needed, etc. and then connect her work router to ours ( where hers can then go off to her equipment ).

The issue: I cannot change her router settings at all... nor the gateway, IP's, etc. -- I want our home computer to not have to use her router's settings anymore... as currently, everything is plugged into hers as there are eight slots. Both CPU's are running XP.

I know in networking two routers, you have to turn one DHCP to auto get IP's from the other, etc. and make one address static - like 192.168.1.2 while the other is 192.168.1.1 with the range of IP's the second router pulls from.... but I do not know how to do what I want on my router WHILE using the settings from her router.

Can I reverse the process/order like this? If I connect my wireless router to hers, yes it still works... but then I cannot open the ports I need as they get blocked on her router.

I do have a Linksys workgroup switch that I could use - in which a coworker suggested having the modem go to the switch, then both routers connect to the switch - where each router would go to the respective computers, etc. --- but I dont see that making a difference, as the router settings are what's important IMO.

THANKS for any help!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since you have a cable modem, this should be pretty easy, though if she uses a VPN that "may" be an issue, you'll just have to try it.

Configure your Linksys wireless router to connect directly to the cable modem and connect her router to one of the LAN ports on your router.

This will get you a basic wired connection, with the issue being that you can't have forwarded ports on the Netgear ProSafe router. I know my VoIP works fine that way, and I can even connect to a VPN site. However, you'll simply have to test her connections to insure all of the required stuff works.

Note that this requires no changes to her router's settings.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You can only do what John suggests IF your wife's corporate setup isn't doing a site to site VPN tunnel. If it is, all bets are off and you'll have to discuss with wife's tech support on how they can accommodate your port forward request. Either get your wife to ask her tech support if you can call someone directly to discuss your needs or type it up on paper so she can hand it to one of the tech guys.

4. superDudeMan

JohnWill - thanks for answering. After reading your response, I realized I left that info off that I have tried just plugging her router into a LAN port on mine, but to no avail. Her router makes her cpu and voip use the 192.168.5.# gateway no matter what.

I assume then, that I would need to change my router from 192.168.1.# to her #.#.5.# so that her computer,etc. would recognize the gateway and IP range. She does not use a static IP, but her CPU seems to always grab the first IP in the range.

zx10guy - thanks for answering. I am not 100% sure what a S2S VPN Tunnel is [ even after looking it up ] but I also forgot to mention that she uses a domain instead of like a workgroup and logs into Windows on a network, not like the local machine. --- she can get online w/her computer on her router fine but connects through a VPN to her work server/intranet and all her network mapped drives only work once she's on the network obviously.

So, yes... I think that you are right in that I'll just have to bribe my wife somehow to finally send something to her IT. I've been trying for months already though ;) and she doesn't see the point since "our internet works"... and "why do we need wireless"... haha

... and our cable modem is capped at a low/home speed (from before she worked from home) while her work pays for a high-speed business line - but they don't know it's capped and it's causing all her work connections to be super slow yet she won't do anything about that either... so you can tell I'm working with a brick wall... haha

Thank you all again for letting me know I need to do, but yeah... I figured I'd have to talk to her IT people as they know exactly what her setup is and I dont really and can't touch it. If only my wife had written down her router's login info... I could open my ports at least and they'd never know ; )

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

From your description, your wife is using a site to site VPN tunnel to establish connectivity to her company's intranet. Because of this, you cannot put the Netgear behind your personal router. Site to site VPN tunnels do not work over NAT. Only client to VPN server connections can work over NAT.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, you need to figure out a way to configure the VPN router to solve your issue, zx10guy is 100% correct here.

7. superDudeMan

thank you both for your help, it is very much appreciated!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice